Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips  (Read 11027 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
Anybody paint the exterior of their kettle damaged areas...

If so..pls share prep and painting process...

Before starting painting process with vht flameproof..it would be helpful to have some wkc experiences and results with painting...

Did the paint hold

Paint used....prep process? 

Thanks

Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: painting outside of kettle damaged areas tips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 10:25:18 AM »
@swamprb does it a lot for chipped areas & seems to have good results....Craig's done some & there are other people that have done various tests & tried different products (don't recall EXACTLY who just now)

I did a whole kettle, over the original Black & it was just OK.....the color changed in areas where the coals were banked, as I think that's actually hotter than the ratings of VHT & such.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/feelin'-fruity/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:36 AM »
I applied some to a bowl of a red 18.   Eventually turned black.

If I could do it over .. I would not have applied any paint.  Live and learn.  It's your call.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
Very interesting buckie...and maceggs

Has the paint  held on...or are you noticing flaking?
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »
This is a bit different than chip repair as the whole kettle was in nice shape when started......even, thin layers....numerous coatings, all high heat & it did work well, but for the discoloration from banking....

I've noticed that people tend to pile up the paint some on the repair areas & I believe the thicker it is, the more likely to flake off eventually.......
Somebody thought of trying to build the chip areas with Alvin metals high heat liquid metal first, grinding & sanding that down & painting or powder coating........that might be the best fix.......

Here's some on that:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/please-do-k-kick-me-out/

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »
Very interesting buckie...and maceggs

Has the paint  held on...or are you noticing flaking?

One other thought......the very best success with any painting is the surface prep beforehand....makes all the difference in how well it holds.....
Seems like flaking off wouldn't be so much the deal as discoloration or whole areas just coming unglued from rust under the paint or the like...........

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 01:58:26 PM »
Try “Rust-Oleum” 2000 degrees. I used it on my Char Griller and worked very well. You can find it in the Automotive section at Home Depot. It also depends on what color you’re looking for…

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:10:55 PM »
Try “Rust-Oleum” 2000 degrees. I used it on my Char Griller and worked very well. You can find it in the Automotive section at Home Depot. It also depends on what color you’re looking for…

That stuff is really good. That is what I painted my UDS with and it has held up really well...even when I accidentally let it get really hot warming it up one time.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 03:23:16 PM »
Agreed...surface prep is critical..i sand down to bare metal..wipe down..dry then paint.
Im thinking about using addicted to smoke suggestion for naval jelly to rid rust at the handle welds...tight crevice areas where it is difficult to sand well...
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 03:24:46 PM »
Another question...anyone just sand to metal and coat with food grade oil...ie..pam or vegetable oil to season/oil coat the oitside kettle damage areas to protect metal?

Does the seasoning stay or simply wear off and rust

Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »
Pam is often used to "change" a black kettle that's faded to gray, back to almost-black. But it's oil, and so it won't stay. The outside of a kettle won't "season" in that regard.

As for sanding down to bare metal, I've never read that anyone's been able to effectively do it? They bake it on at 1700 degrees F in the factory.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
Im working ona kettle that had chipped porcelain and there was metal/rust...sanded down to bare metal...

I think there was some sh subsurface porcelain left bc that area was ridged...hand sanded with 100 grit

Grills

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 05:23:52 PM »
Its a freakin' kettle!  I just paint the spots to keep them for rusting.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
I just paint the spots to keep them for rusting.

that's what I did for buddy. he had some lid rash when I got him. I used a http://choreboyscrubbers.com/Products/Ultimate%20Scrubbers%20Pure%20Copper.aspx and soapy water to clean/kill the rust and prep the metal. wiped w/a damp cloth then dried. then sprayed some rustoleum high temp bbq paint(black) into a plastic cup until it pooled enough to us a brush to apply(dabbed on).

couple pics of the before and after....

before....

after......

the overlap was intentional to prevent the rust spreading.  pics were taken almost two years ago and no signs of deterioration. grill has been left outside but covered. rust has not returned or spread.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:20:14 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
I'm on the fence reading everyone's thoughts on paint touch ups I recently scored a red ss performer on Craig's list . I've been cleaning her up and have been debating how to treat the blemishes on her. I really want to preserve the beauty of it with out messing it up with added paint. I cleaned  the chipped areas and rubbed them with coconut oil for now. Is there a better way to preserve without painting the areas or is painting the right option.