Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: the current Jumbo Joe vs. a regular 18.5" with cut-down legs  (Read 6395 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
the current Jumbo Joe vs. a regular 18.5" with cut-down legs
« on: March 18, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »
DISCLAIMER:
This topic/question/"mental masturbation exercise" is mostly moot due to time constraints of acquiring said kettle ... that said, 

A friend wants to get her husband a gift, a charcoal setup for their motorhome. It's a Class A, so they have some storage space.

Tonight's conversation has centered around the Jumbo Joe and I showed her some of the very inventive cooks done recently by the likes of @BBcue-Z and @Nate. I also showed her my mildly-modded '13: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-official-master-thread!/msg134966/#msg134966 I also showed her my Weber Portable Charcoal Table: http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7445-Portable-Charcoal-Table/dp/B00AHUR0OC

I like mine very much, don't get me wrong. I think it cooks FAR BETTER than its "frog butt" nickname might suggest.

But my dad's old 18.5" has since supplanted it at home ...

So what I'm wondering is if a regular 18.5" with cut-down legs AND two handles on the kettle (so .... not a NEW or recent 18.5" ....) wouldn't be even better. The only issue I see with that is the lid wouldn't be locked down, but it wouldn't need to be carried far, and two kettle handles (even if just MBH) is super-easy when it's an 18.5".

Another thing is ash. The semi-permanent nature of the clip-in ash pan on the Jumbo Joe is both a blessing and a curse IMO. Did Weber ever make a 18.5", One Touch two-handles on the kettle? I don't see them wanting to futz with daisy wheels.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
Re: the current Jumbo Joe vs. a regular 18.5" with cut-down legs
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
I think the airflow on an 18.5 is going to be better than the Jumbo Joe.  That's been the main thing holding me back from using mine more.  I figured with it being just the GF and I, that the jumbo joe might be more charcoal economical to use than my 22.   Every cook I've tried on it, I've struggled to keep the charcoal hot, and half the time lit, with the bottom vent fully open.  I like the portable design of the Jumbo Joe, I just wish it had a 1 touch set up, or more daisy wheels. 

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
Here's a couple 18s with cut down legs and one that looks like it has the lid holder from the JJ attached.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?1037-Cutting-legs-off-18-OTS/page2

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
Here is the one I built from an old Daisy Wheel 18.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/tuck-n-carry-mod-done-finally!!!/msg115838/#msg115838

I am sure that a One-Touch kettle would work just as well. The lid lock was easy to install.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:31:40 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:33:03 PM »
Here is the one I built from an old Daisy Wheel 18.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/tuck-n-carry-mod-done-finally!!!/msg115838/#msg115838

I am sure that a One-Touch kettle would work just as well. The lid lock was easy to install.

That's a wonderful kettle. It's funny, I showed my friend my Zavod oak handle on my JJ and she said, "Oh, it doesn't say Weber on it ..." but if she had one like that ...

You said the carrying handle was easy, do you recall the measurement for where you drilled the holes?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
I do not recall off of the top of my head... I can measure it next Sunday (next time I will be home).
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:36:34 AM »
I have a newer Jumbo Joe......its "OK", but I have had too many airflow issues with it to really trust.  It is fine for a burger or two, but if I load up the grate with 6-8 chicken breasts or thick pork chops......forget it.  It will get them cooked, but not the way I like.  There just isn't enough airflow through the kettle to keep the temps up.  I've never had that problem on a regular kettle.  I would prefer to have a regular 18.5" with the legs cut down.  You could always drill a few holes and add the handle and lid bail from a JJ.
-Keith

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:23:16 AM »
^^

It's been a while since I was using my JJ regularly, but don't recall having any problems seeing 350-400 degrees using lump on just one side of the kettle. Doesn't last forever but that's lump for you, and I have a flip-grate I use for adding more. 200-250 is usually pretty easy to maintain if you can wait for a longer cook. I do very little direct cooking of any kind, so can't really comment on what happens there. Maybe the intake just gets clogged easier in that case?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:57:02 AM »
Did Weber ever make a 18.5", One Touch two-handles on the kettle?

Older ones are out there.  Not sure if Weber currently makes them.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 10:32:26 AM »
Did Weber ever make a 18.5", One Touch two-handles on the kettle?

Older ones are out there.  Not sure if Weber currently makes them.

I have a beat "O" Code & a much nicer "E" Code that are both double bowl w/ OT......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:22:17 AM »
I didn't like the look of my 18" Red G with cut off legs. It looked out of place with the ash can. On a hunch I ordered a set of Cajun Bandit legs and they fit like a charm!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 06:21:09 AM »
Another thing is ash. The semi-permanent nature of the clip-in ash pan on the Jumbo Joe is both a blessing and a curse IMO. Did Weber ever make a 18.5", One Touch two-handles on the kettle? I don't see them wanting to futz with daisy wheels.

Yep.  I used to use a little OTG with stubby legs for just this purpose.  Having the enclosed ash catcher when camping was a huge plus for me.

Probably will have on again some day.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 06:46:34 AM »

[quote author=G$

Yep.  I used to use a little OTG with stubby legs for just this purpose.  Having the enclosed ash catcher when camping was a huge plus for me.

Probably will have on again some day.
[/quote]

;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 02:28:27 AM »
I like the airflow of a traditional 18.5....

Or with Tuck N carry option..