Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Cover for New Performer  (Read 5576 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
New Cover for New Performer
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:13 AM »
I saw this posted on another forum and thought i would get opinions here as well.
I will getting a performer shortly and will need a cover.

I am looking primarily at these three:

New Style Weber Cover 7152 $48.89
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7152-Storage-Performer-Premium/dp/B00MBVAGLO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426595704&sr=8-3&keywords=weber+performer+cover

Pre 2015 style Weber cover 7455 (44.99 on Amazon, Less on Ebay thanks to the recent Home Depot Blowouts)
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7455-Premium-Performer-Grills/dp/B0013JJ79M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426595704&sr=8-1&keywords=weber+performer+cover

Yukon Glory Cover $27.99
http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Glory-Original-Resistant-Performer/dp/B00KMZGVXS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426595704&sr=8-2&keywords=weber+performer+cover

The New Weber cover appears to be more expensive but is made of Polyester, the others are Vinyl
The Yukon Glory is cheaper but gets decent reviews. The reviews claim it's not as snug, which makes it easier to put on and take off.

Anyone have any experience with these or any opinions on any of them?
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New Cover for New Performer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:29:02 AM »
And here's one with tongs and brush ... http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Grill-Covers-7455-Performer/dp/B00K9IF9AO/ref=pd_sbs_lg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W2GHTZA7Z84V8BPBKWM

I'd be inclined to try the Yukon for that kind of savings. Bought my dad a 7455 a few years ago for his '05 and it fits like a glove. The new poly ones don't really do it for me, and I think the bag is an unnecessary complication.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:34 AM »
And here's one with tongs and brush ... http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Grill-Covers-7455-Performer/dp/B00K9IF9AO/ref=pd_sbs_lg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W2GHTZA7Z84V8BPBKWM

I'd be inclined to try the Yukon for that kind of savings. Bought my dad a 7455 a few years ago for his '05 and it fits like a glove. The new poly ones don't really do it for me, and I think the bag is an unnecessary complication.

Ive seen the Texas covers but they are nearly the same price price as the OEM weber covers so i dont see the value.

As for the storage bag, if im cooking for myself and my wife a cover on the ground next to the grill is fine, but when im entertaining or grilling in the wind the bag would come in handy.

Thanks ATS.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:31 AM »
I  use the 7152. Its thinner than old cover, but Weber says it will hold up.
My last cover lasted 12 years.

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
I just purchased the old version and I just noticed cracks in it. I replaced another one with the new version and if held up better. Both were installed new over this past winter.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 10:13:42 PM »
Had same question new v old. I went new when someone pointed out that new has a longer warranty. So far so good. No rain yet but handling the new material is way more comfortable than that old crinkly stuff that turn hard in the cold.

Dale Nichols

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 05:22:31 AM »
Hi Charlie I am poking around here also I did not get many replies on the other forum. I know my old style cover gets so stiff during the winter it makes me say bad words.Maybe there is a cover that will last 5-10 years and not cost much more.

My motto...The cheap man pays twice.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
Hi Charlie I am poking around here also I did not get many replies on the other forum. I know my old style cover gets so stiff during the winter it makes me say bad words.Maybe there is a cover that will last 5-10 years and not cost much more.

My motto...The cheap man pays twice.

Sounds like the most votes are the less expensive Yukon Glory or the new style weber cover. I have an OEM weber cover on my genesis that is 4 years old. It still does the job but it shows some weathering.

It may be worth it to spend less and replace more often. Over the lifetime of the grill you will spend the same but half way through it will look newer.

Dale Nichols

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
Does anybody here like the new cover better than the old one? I got a bid from Grillwraps for $399.00. Nope!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:46:47 AM »
BUMP

So over the past two weeks I bought and sold a used Performer that had a used old style cover that was approx 4 years old according to the seller.
The cover was very snug and was very stiff in the cold weather we had. Due to the unique shape of the cover i saw some stress points in the corners that could lead to tearing in the future.

This week I received my new performer and purchased the new style cover. Its only been 3 nights but First impressions are that the cover is much lighter, thinner, and looser. I know they designed this cover to fit easier and make it more flexible during the winter, however the cover went flying off 2x in the wind on the first 3 nights the cover was on. After 3 nights I discover there is a Velcro leg wrap in one corner. We wrapped properly today. Lets see if the Velcro helps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:07:15 PM by CharliefromLI »

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 06:38:01 AM »
So after a full week the cover simply will not stay on. The one leg velcro design does not keep the cover from flying off, i have resigned myself to using a bungee cord wrapped over the cover. It works but looks like crap. kind of disappointing for a $50 cover.

If anyone has a better solution i am all ears.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:26 AM »
Thanks for the update. I live near the water and it's pretty windy at times. I'm glad I grabbed a couple when they were $10 at Home Depot.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 04:07:37 AM »
I reached out to weber CS to see if there was an obvious solution that i was missing and their was not one other then rotate the kettle so the velcro faces into the wind, not a reasonable solution for the long term.

I found some extra adehesive velcro in the garage over the weekend and added them to the bottom corners of the cover on the kettle side. They are holding the cover down as now there is velcro in 3 of 4 corners. I will monitor for added stress on the cover where the lid bale sticks out as i see this as a stress point.