Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Someone send a Zavondle to the Smithsonian, STAT!  (Read 4051 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Someone send a Zavondle to the Smithsonian, STAT!
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers
One of the charcoal people.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Someone send a Zavondle to the Smithsonian, STAT!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
Seems super shiny and clean. If I had a spare handle I'd gladly donate it the Smithsonian.

I'll bet if 30 or so of us donated $1 we could quickly make it happen. Seems like a worthy project, eh @Troy ?

I don't mind sending an email to get the ball rolling and see if they'd accept a handle donation. But if that's a two-rivet lid handle it could be more work than they want to hassle with?

http://americanhistory.si.edu/about/departments/curatorial-affairs
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I love that they actually refered to it as a "redhead" in the little write up - that's awesome!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
on it, courtesy of the WKC :)

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
Good show Troy!
I can't help thinking that there are some here who have even better, even older examples of kettles, not me, but it just means that some of you guys have museum quality pieces in your collection.
As if we didn't know that already...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
Well this one is a beaut, but could have definitely used some @SixZeroFour magic on those legs. 

...or maybe they wanted it to look like it came right out of someone's backyard, I suppose.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
This would be an honor if they allowed us to help restore it. The fact that they narrowed down the date to 1969-1973 and the person they got it from called it a "redhead" tells me it came from a Grillfella. @mike.stavlund  could you make out whether the vent said PAT PENDING or had the pat #?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
@Craig , it was really hard to see the vent with the glare on the glass and the lights inside.  I think the only sensible solution would be for the Smithsonian to send a private jet to pick up you and @SixZeroFour for a few days of consulting.  Craig can nail down the date, and Matt can shine up those legs and ash pan.  I'll cook lunch. 

I remember in pre-WKC days reading about this grill on some other forum... I think the guy who donated it told the story... If I remember right the Smithsonian tracked him down following a CL sale or something.  The man donated it to the museum, and got a nice exclusive invitation to the opening of the new food exhibit (which features Julia Child's kitchen).  While it would be really cool to know that your grill would be preserved in perpetuity, and while I LOVE that the Smithsonian has a sweet redhead, I would be very reluctant to just give away one of my grills and know that it'll never cook again.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:51:12 PM »
@Craig , it was really hard to see the vent with the glare on the glass and the lights inside.  I think the only sensible solution would be for the Smithsonian to send a private jet to pick up you and @SixZeroFour for a few days of consulting.  Craig can nail down the date, and Matt can shine up those legs and ash pan.  I'll cook lunch. 

I remember in pre-WKC days reading about this grill on some other forum... I think the guy who donated it told the story... If I remember right the Smithsonian tracked him down following a CL sale or something.  The man donated it to the museum, and got a nice exclusive invitation to the opening of the new food exhibit (which features Julia Child's kitchen).  While it would be really cool to know that your grill would be preserved in perpetuity, and while I LOVE that the Smithsonian has a sweet redhead, I would be very reluctant to just give away one of my grills and know that it'll never cook again.

INDEED!!!!!

Very well said !!!!!

Except for the part where I talk them into letting you cook lunch......because it's the right, no, AMERICAN thing to do !!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »
PS: Looks like it's a small BOWL tab to me....definitely a double rivet.......  8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
While it would be really cool to know that your grill would be preserved in perpetuity, and while I LOVE that the Smithsonian has a sweet redhead, I would be very reluctant to just give away one of my grills and know that it'll never cook again.

it isn't just the cooker being preserved. it's "Americana" being preserved. think of the untold numbers of people who will see that grill and flashback to all the weekends, holidays and vacations where someone they knew(family, friends..etc) cooked on a kettle. it's a cooker born in America, used around the world and still going strong 50+ years later despite all of the "new whizbang" cookers out there. it's an American original and I'd happily give up my entire ensemble to a museum knowing they'd be there to spark that bit of nostalgia and memories of time spent with family and friends at a cookout.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:43:43 AM »
Well said, mrbill. "for the greater good" -- just like rare aircraft or uniforms or any other modern artifact. Just because that redhead isn't obsolete doesn't mean it shouldn't be recognized.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:51:18 AM »
Good points about Americana and the inherent value of nostalgia.  And @mrbill , have I told you about the 'museum' I'm starting up in my backyard?  Please ship your entire collection to me, post haste.   ;-)

Definitely small vent tabs on this kettle, all around.  And I think that's the remains of one rivet still in place where the handle used to be. 

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 05:02:50 AM »
So cool - Zav's chance to make it in the Smithsonian!  From the picture, it looks like the handle is bent out of shape.  Full restoration is in order!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:21:57 AM »
@mrbill , have I told you about the 'museum' I'm starting up in my backyard?  Please ship your entire collection to me, post haste.   ;-)

i was born in the morning, but it wasn't THIS morning ;)
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank