Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2004 Preformer LP gas conversion  (Read 5137 times)

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
2004 Preformer LP gas conversion
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:59 AM »
So I have 2004 performer with a quick disconnect 1.2 lb Manchester LP tank.
The tank is now 12 years old so I can't refill it anymore.
Can I get a new CCI tank and convert my regulator to CCI?
I was going  to use this part:
Mr. Heater® Propane Grill Appliance End Fitting (F276495) from ace hardware.
And a new 1.2 lb manchester tank.
Of course we all now how unhelpful weber can be.
They say I have to buy a new regulator for $97.50. Unbelievable!
Please help if you can.
Thanks

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2004 Preformer LP gas conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »
Hello and welcome.

I wouldn't characterize expensive parts as "unhelpful." Your grill is 11 years old; most companies wouldn't answer the phone let alone stock any parts for the rust buckets they sell. Seems they quoted you the regulator and hose assembly. It costs more than $97 through ereplacements.com

And are you sure your hose is bad? That's the only thing that's expensive. Burner tube is clear, including orifice? Regulator: http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Pressue-Regulator/dp/B000BQUQEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361665260&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+heater+propane+low+pressure+regulator+f276136

I now use an OPD "Acme" nut like what you found at Ace, a replacement regulator and original hose on my '92 SS. My tank is from '99; the Acme nut screws onto it. See if someone in your area will recertify your tank. If not, they can be bought recertified online. I don't even know if my local Ace looked at the date when they refilled it a couple years ago.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
Last summer when I contacted Weber CSR, I was able to order that regulator kit for $65 and was able to convert the quick release to a new style tank. Still not cheap, but better than $97. 

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
Most propane companies will re-certify you tank for less than $25.

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
The hose is good as well as my grill. What upsets me is weber sells replacement regulators for $27.99. But one for my grill is $97.
What is really odd the are the same part number. I live in Calif, and I don't think I use a non CCI tank anymore.
I think is probably easier just to get a new grill.

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 09:30:20 AM »
Here its $50. New tank $55
Re-certify last 5 years new tank 10 years.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:36:09 AM »
you should be able to get the tank recertified at a local propane place, or buy a new tank for 55 bucks.

what is CCI?

The part is expensive because they sell very few of them, so the price has to increase to be worth it for them to stock.
it is unfortunate, i went through the same ordeal a couple years ago. I NEEDED the regular but didn't want to pay 65. I found an equivalent at Menards for 15 bucks.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:56:07 AM »
The hose is good as well as my grill. What upsets me is weber sells replacement regulators for $27.99. But one for my grill is $97.
What is really odd the are the same part number. I live in Calif, and I don't think I use a non CCI tank anymore.
I think is probably easier just to get a new grill.

Weber does not sell a regulator for SS Performers. They only have the full assembly, and it's gone up in price in recent years as supply dries up.

There's a difference between doing a modicum of homework to fix an issue and expecting a turnkey solution, off the shelf, for old grills. We're here to help if that's what you want, and help could be in the form of a buyer for your grill--the SS are popular. Just know that the buyer will easily spend less than $100, as could you, to get it going. The equivalent replacement machine today usually sells new for $350.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
thanks for all your help.
The wife says "buy a new grill". Enough said... Never miss an opportunity for a new grill!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
what color is your old one?

oldweberguy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:08:37 PM »
Green

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »
So question...if you have a ss performer with quick disconnect propane assembly..what parts do you need to replace to have propane tank filled?

Do you need to replace both the quick disconnect on the regulator and then the connection on the tank?

Does ace usually sell these parts and anyone if they recertify tanks and replace the connection?

Sorry...new to this process and help and parts descriptions would be much appreciated
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
That Acme nut should thread into the regulator and let you replace the quick disconnect part. Just check thread size.

If it's a Type 1 OPD valve, an "Acme" nut will connect onto the big threads outside. If you don't see big threads on the outside of the OPD valve you have a Type 2 and it won't work.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
Thanks a bunch..very helpful

So looks like type 2 opd valve..

So if i understanding this correctly...get the acme nut for the regular conmection conversion.

Manchester tank with opd valve type 2...basically use it till dry bc need to purchase a new tank?
Thought i read someplace that some refill stations have adapters that refill quick commect tanks...?

Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Check locally with refill stations before buying new hardware. I can't say for sure what you'll need.