Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ugly Craigslist Kettle Scores  (Read 1611 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Ugly Craigslist Kettle Scores
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Like everyone else here, I keep a close watch on the local Craigslist ads. I am always looking for that great deal on a classic kettle, but usually I am just thumbing through plain, late model kettles at 50%-75% of new retail.>:(
I have been going through kettle score withdrawals because  it has been so long since I found a great deal. I recently took a chance on this ad:

I could tell that it wasn't brown, but in the second pic I saw an ash bucket. I need an ash bucket! (That is another story...) I called the number on the ad and made an appointment to see the kettle. The meet-up was at night in the parking lot of a very seedy apartment complex. The DU OTG looked dirty but pretty straight in the beam of my flashlight, and it came with a weathered but serviceable premium cover! The seller told me that he had only had the grill for a couple of months, and the previous owner had really taken care of it.
I handed over my $20, set the kettle in my truck and headed home.
 Upon closer inspection at home the bowl and lid are in very good condition, just very dirty in and out. Sweeps and bucket are all good, so is the flip-up grate.Legs and wheels are worn and weathered but serviceable. Plenty of spare parts for the price of one grate!

But wait, there's more!

I didn't  need an OTS, but he was throwing in a Weber Chimney. You can never have too many chimneys. I was working out of town for a couple of days, so I emailed and told him that I would give him his price if he still had it on Saturday. He responded that he would hold it for me! :o Needless to say
I contacted the seller as soon as I got home and arranged to pick it up.
 The AA OTS has a dirty grate, dirty ash pan and one good ding in the lid rim. There are no other issues. It was kept in the garage and the legs and wheels are perfect. I need a nice set of legs and wheels! (That is another, other story...)$20 is about what I payed for a new chimney starter. Now I have a great supply of parts! Or more kettles...8)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:19:32 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ugly Craigslist Kettle Scores
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »
That'll scratch the itch.....for awhile....... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ugly Craigslist Kettle Scores
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »
Nice scores! I need my CL kettle scores also..... Come on Spring and Summer! Folks cleaning out garages is my favorite time of year 😄