Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: TV - Saw a kettle in "The Goldbergs": wrong period?  (Read 1721 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
TV - Saw a kettle in "The Goldbergs": wrong period?
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place now that the site's been changed.  Okay, this was a major geek moment for me.  I noticed a Weber kettle in an episode of the Goldbergs "The Darryl Dawkins Dance" and it appears that the kettle is too new for when the episode was to have taken place.  Here's where the geek moment comes in.  In the episode Adam and his grandfather go to see the Transformers movie where Optimus Prime dies.  I looked it up and the movie came out in 1986.

Here's the scene where I saw the Weber Kettle in the background.

That's clearly an bucket style ash catcher in the background.  I've been trying to find the history of the 80's grills on the site, but I can't for the life of me verify that this didn't exist in 1986.  Although I'm pretty sure it didn't.   I got a ton of crap from my family just for even noticing.  I'm sure you can all relate.  Regardless, I'm sure you guys can tell me for sure.  Post back and let me know so I can at least feel vindicated.

Thanks!

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: TV - Saw a kettle in "The Goldbergs": wrong period?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
Maybe I should clean my glasses but I don't see a kettle in the background ???????? 
Is the kid Molly's great-grandson??? 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »
optimus dies in one of the recent movies too
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »
I don't know if it's period correct, but it saw that episode, and noticed it too. Thought better of telling my wife though...she already gives me enough crap about the weberitus

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
If you don't see the Weber you may need to scroll the picture to the right.  With regard to when Optimus prime died, this series is supposed to be from the 80's.  Can anyone tell me when the ash bucket came to be?

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »
Pretty sure it was 1990 when they released the Performer and MT
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:42 PM »
Kettle is definitely NOT period correct. Enclosed ash buckets firsr appeared on Performers in 1990 and later on Master Touch kettles in 1992. Theres another TV moment from That 70s Show where Red Forman is clearly grilling on an 80s-90s wood bowl handled red 22. They were still MBH style until 1981.