Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheapest and easiest SS performer 20# LP conversion only $8.99" PICS UPLOADED"  (Read 4030 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Hello all, just got a red top SS performer yesterday (thanks to LIONS222) and would like to share how easy and cheap it was to convert from the 5lb LP tank to the 20#. This whole discovery was made because I coudn't find any placee that had the fitting and the tank was expired. Like i said I just picked up the SS yesterday but the 5lb LP tank want empty, so I go down to the local Uhaul to get it filled but they tell me the tank is expired, but lucky me the guy was willing to fill it this one time so now I'm stoked. He goes to screw on the adapter and bam it doesn't thread on because the threads don't match and they only have 2 adapters, one for 20# tanks and the other for forklift tanks, so i run to a gas station that fills propane and again only the two adapters. So i get back home and jump on WKC and search for any answers to my problem. I run across CCP Performer thread (Re: SS Performer / Old performer regulator 5lb tank upgrade overhaul) and I see the light at the end of the tunnel, so i jump in my car and run down to the local Lowe's with hose, adapter and, regulator in hand. If you read CCP Performer overhaul thread he replaced the entire regulator hose assembly because his regulator was bad but fortunately mine was still good, so I'm browsing the BBQ parts isle and i find a new hose with the regulator for $19.99 but right next to it i find this

and its only $8.99, so I match up the thread from this fitting to the fitting thats on the regulator and it looks like it matches but i wont know till i get home and try it. So i get home and try the fitting and its a match. Here are some pics of the finished product. Oops, i guess the pictures will have to wait because i don't have privileges. moderators???? HELP???

I flipped the bracket that held the old 5lb tank to make more space for the 20# tank. If i didnt do this the knob on the tank would not be visable through the hole on top so you would have to remove the top cover everytime you needed to turn it on or off.

Here is the link to the exact part from Lowe's
http://www.lowes.com/pd_608896-82210-5138384___?productId=50330315&pl=1&Ntt=charbroil+propane
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:36:23 PM by jaycee213 »
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cheapest and easiest SS performer 20# LP conversion only $8.99
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
@jaycee213
i think u just need 1 more post then you can post pics after 5 posts if i remember right. just post one more message

i may be wrong it might have been 10 messages
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:53:12 AM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:30:08 AM »
thanks for the heads up
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »
@jaycee213  were you replacing quick disconnect or a threaded connection regulator?
Grills

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
@toolhead I replaced the quick connect fitting on the regulator with the fitting in the picture.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
Thanks @jaycee213. The regulator for my gas performer grill had no connector on it when I got it, so I'm going to give one of these a try.

FYI, it's also available from Amazon if you either don't have a Lowe's in your area or they are out of stock on them. Same MFR#. Same price.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URO0UTA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:33:21 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

charred

• WKC Performer
Nice find, jaycee! A full 20# tank will probably last 50 years on an SSP.   :D

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Brickout

• WKC Brave
Thanks for the tip! I went to my local Menards and they have the same adapter made by Mr. Heater (part #F276495) for $5.99. I now can finally use my propane starter!

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Thanks for the tip! I went to my local Menards and they have the same adapter made by Mr. Heater (part #F276495) for $5.99. I now can finally use my propane starter!

Remember to flip the tank bracket around so you can get enough clearance so the tank valve is accesable from the top access hole
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Very Nice Mod!

The only thing I would do different is use yellow plumbers tape instead of the white on the threads of the gas connections. The yellow is made for natural gas and propane, where the white is for water. The white can degrade over time and you could have a gas leak in the future.

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Very Nice Mod!

The only thing I would do different is use yellow plumbers tape instead of the white on the threads of the gas connections. The yellow is made for natural gas and propane, where the white is for water. The white can degrade over time and you could have a gas leak in the future.

Will remember about the yellow tape next time. thanks for the headsup.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
I ordered mine in from Amazon and it had a small packet of sealant with it. Just did a test fit on the gas performer's regulator and it's a perfect fit. May have to try and fire the thing up this weekend just to see if it lights.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:05:45 PM by AZRaptor »
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
You may have to blow the cobwebs out of your burner tube I got my Oly ss performer was told the igniter didn't work after I took the air compressor and blew out a spider egg sack it worked great lol
BBQ to live live to BBQ

CCP Performer

• Smokey Joe
Something about a 20lb tank in a performer is exciting, it's like back in the day when the Boss Hoss came out, where they squeezed a small block Chevy V8 into a motorcycle frame!