Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bad threads on the gas connection of an AD Performer  (Read 1343 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Bad threads on the gas connection of an AD Performer
« on: July 01, 2015, 09:15:02 AM »
I'm finishing up a restore on a buddy's green AD Performer (am I right to call this a 2nd generation?  It's the kind with a thermoset table and gray frame and faceplates). 

Seems like the brass threads where the 1lb propane tank connects to the regulator are bunged up... it's quite difficult to get the threads started, and every half revolution it gets really hard to turn.  Visual inspection suggests that the starting threads are quite flat. 

I'm thinking that I could replace that female brass connection, since it's shaped like a nut on the outside and must be a standard kind of connection.  But Weber will only sell the whole hose, regulator, and brass connection assembly for $30, claiming that they want to ensure that the connection is airtight.  I've made plenty of natural gas connections, so I'm not too worried about that (but please tell me if I should be!) and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance with this issue.  Is there a simple fix?

Thanks!
One of the charcoal people.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bad threads on the gas connection of an AD Performer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 05:46:49 PM »
I do believe the AD (2010) Performer is a 3rd gen Performer.
http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/
Look about 3/4's of the way down the page.
You could try unscrewing the nut but be prepared to buy
a new regulator assembly if it trashes the valve, I don't
recall seeing any replacement nut assemblies anywhere.
If it does unscrew without destroying the whole valve
you might look at replacement pieces where ever you
can find Coleman lantern or stove propane connectors.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »
I gotta believe that some place that works with propane like an RV place could rebuild the gadget 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
Mike, I believe those threads at 1"x20 size. You would only need to get a bottom tap of the same size to clean out the threads. However, you may need to get a special one that has a hole in the middle so it doesn't hit the orifice plug thingie in the middle. Does brass threaded part come off the regulator? Is there a bottom brass lip inside of the fitting?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:46:44 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791