Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Motor City Thumbscrew Aristocrat  (Read 4376 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
The Motor City Thumbscrew Aristocrat
« on: December 06, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
I have had this 2 days and I am still jittery some. This is after a preliminary cleaning with hot water and dish soap.

There was food on the cooking grate a few times only it would seem and only in the very middle. Much of this cooking grate still has the oily coating a brand new one does:

Front bowl handle slightly off set:

Rear handle more off set:

The original owner of the grill was a man named Merle. His step son remembers him cooking on this grill once and the rest of the time it was in the basement. In Merle's man room. The handle is very worn with almost no finish left on it. The depth of the hole to the rivet head is very shallow leading me to think somebody rubbed or touched this handle plenty over the years. The oily coating on much of the grill grate and the lack of any "gunk" on the inside of the lid or bowl tells me the step son was right.

Thanks to L.B. and 604 for being the friends they are. If it weren't for them this grill would not be in my man room now.

Link to L.B.'s post on the find:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-sea-of-red-well-a-minivan-at-least/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:46:33 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: The Motor City Aristocrat
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:51:21 PM »
Looking good.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The Motor City Thumbscrew Aristocrat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »
Amazing mike simply amazing,  the spots near the leg sockets baffle me considering how this thing looks hardly used.

Take a close pic of the middle of the bowl, I think you were thinking it is where they put it on something to spin it.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Congratulations, Hoss!  That's a real beauty. 

I swear I could stare at that side-angle view all day.  Those flat-tops are so beautiful.  And the spin marks down in the bowl are mesmerizing. 
One of the charcoal people.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »
Just stunning Hoss!! I'm so glad to see this grail go to someone who appreciates it so much. Hell of a find!!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »
Amazing mike simply amazing,  the spots near the leg sockets baffle me considering how this thing looks hardly used.

Take a close pic of the middle of the bowl, I think you were thinking it is where they put it on something to spin it.

Those 2 big rust spots on the bottom around the leg sockets baffled me too. There are 2 spots inside the bowl that have smaller rust spots - these line up with the ones on the outside. I am thinking something wet and greasy was left for years.

In picture number 7 - in the bottom of the bowl you can see a raised dimple. I was talking to 604 and his Brown 26er has the same thing. I'll get a couple shots of it tomorrow and add them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:34:55 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »
how did the process go for unceasing the vents on the bottom?  and what did you do to get them to move?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:36 PM »
how did the process go for unceasing the vents on the bottom?  and what did you do to get them to move?

Only one was really stuck and it still is.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
Congrats Hoss. This is an amazing find. Great job LB for hooking up Hoss.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
that looks incredible.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »
I'm stunned at the beauty of this Aristocrat. I think this is the first example I've seen of a flat head lid still with thumbscrews. Most 26"ers pre 1969 had the rounded lids (some more or less) This one matches the PAT PENDING and onward flatheads. It must be a late thumbscrew era kettle. 1967-68ish?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:04:48 AM »
Fire engine red, eh?!  Just like you wanted.  Amazing looking cooker, and great pics, Hoss!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Yeah, the dimple is where the 'turning' ended.......same thing happens on a wood lathe......I've got one dimple in the stable too, just a little one:

Those 2 big rust spots on the bottom around the leg sockets baffled me too. There are 2 spots inside the bowl that have smaller rust spots - these line up with the ones on the outside. I am thinking something wet and greasy was left for years.

In picture number 7 - in the bottom of the bowl you can see a raised dimple. I was talking to 604 and his Brown 26er has the same thing. I'll get a couple shots of it tomorrow and add them.

"Those 2 big rust spots on the bottom around the leg sockets baffled me too. "

It got dropped moving it somewhere along the line.......if it's chipped porcelain......the porcelain will be chipped at the pressure point centered around the leg / leg socket, both inside & out.....then it rusts.....I have a few like that......

Other than that unfortunate mishap, this thing is off the hook....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 02:22:36 PM »
It got dropped moving it somewhere along the line.......if it's chipped porcelain......the porcelain will be chipped at the pressure point centered around the leg / leg socket, both inside & out.....then it rusts

Makes sense to me there @1buckie - thanks. I am still giddy from getting this and the 2 other red from my trip to see L.B.. Popped these off today:

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
Congrats Hoss that is one fine 26er. I hope you can put the Roti use?
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG