Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A sea of Red.....Well a MiniVan of Red at least  (Read 5461 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
A sea of Red.....Well a MiniVan of Red at least
« on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:29 PM »
So, yesterday I saw a red 26 incher mid day and immediately called on it, it was 50 miles 1 way but I was ready to head out the door.  Person said they would call me back, I sent a text to let them know how eager I was.   I sent a note to my boy MrHoss telling him I was on it.  I waited throughout the evening passing hints to the wife that wanted the grill,she was not buying what I was selling as we had family plans for the Christmas holiday.
The person sent me a text @ 7:45 in the evening.  I tried one more time to sell this to the wife - rare, 26 and RED, nope.  She said "You can go, we all have our priorities"  My wife is very reasonable person, I knew I could not do this.
I sent the message to Hoss that it was off for me.  Long story short, MrHoss took the ball and ran, ran, ran with it.  He had already been planning a trip in the next couple of weeks to pick up other stuff, @ 5:45 PM he shows up grinning ear to ear.

Pics
Loaded with a thumbstrew 26 redhead, pat pending 22 and mid 70 mint red from harris.

Can wait to see the pics of these all cleaned up.

Congrats Hoss
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:40:57 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

SixZeroFour

Re: A sea of Red.....Well a MiniVan at least
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »
It looks like it's in awesome shape!! Epic score Hoss!!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
Amazing scores, @MrHoss!!  You and LB are a great team.  Keep it going fellas.  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
Congrats Hoss!  I hope you enjoy the 22" red and the rest of your haul.   :)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
Very nice!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 05:23:16 PM »
Congrats, that's quite the car load. Wow!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »
Whoa! Another red 26! Congrats on the find!

#grail

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
Re: A sea of Red.....Well a MiniVan of Red at least
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
Congratulations @MrHoss couldn't happen to a nicer grillfella.
Thank you Jeff and Stephen for helping Hoss find some sweet kettles.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
If you get tired of the red 26" please let me know 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »
I am back, gotten something to eat and done some cleaning on a rare bird. I had initially planned on going down to Detroit to pick up a 74/75 Redhead Harris was generous enough to sell me and ship to Detroit for safekeeping with L.B. Knowing I was going down I spotted a PP Red in Northern Michigan. Arrangements were made and L.B. met up with the seller and picked it up for me. After hearing yesterday that he had left the game I hopped on the game. The whole way there to meet the seller today I was telling myself there was "no way" I could land this. It would fail for some reason. Two cars passed me on the 2 hr 45 minute drive. I made it there 4 minutes before the agreed upon time and found a pickup with a Vietnam Vet licence plate in the drive. Seeing that said to me that this may just go real good. The man kept his word even though he had been flooded with calls. He could have gotten more than what I told him I would pay and didn't. Got to L.B.'s and did something I had done this morning - offered to sell him the cooker for what I just paid for it. He did the same thing he did this morning guys.....told me to keep it! I shoulda' kissed him damnit. Tell you what, Old Hoss owes L.B. big time.

Ok. Now pictures.

The Redhead that Harris has sent me:

The PP Red from Saginaw:

The flattop:

A couple months ago 604 and I were talking and I mentioned that I would one day like to add a coloured 26er that was not Brown. He said that meant a Red and there were so few of them around that it would be VERY expensive. I immediately and without prejudice gave up on the idea and started thinking of a non-handguard Black.

I just gotta say a huge thanks to L.B. for being such a great friend. I also have to thank somebody in the background on this - thanks Matt. 604 did a little coaching on this play and this morning came through big time for me. Without the help of these 2 guys this grill would not be in my house.

Harris sent me a cover, one of Brian's sweet Oak handles and a nice spare period wheel as the one on it is stuck and in need of repair. So all three members here went far out of their way to help me - thanks guys.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:16:00 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
Wow - what an incredible story and some beautiful red kettles.  Hoss, you are indeed a lucky man.
The generosity around this place never ceases to amaze me.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 04:48:18 AM »
WOW!!!! That is beautiful! Nice score!!!!!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

hankeljs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »
Jealous!  I really want a Red Mastertouch.  There is one in my town sitting on the back stoop of a townhome.  I really need to stop and see if it might be for sale.......

Uncle JJ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
Amazing finds - thanks for sharing!  That 26er is SPECIAL - Merry Christmas!

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
MrHoss...you did well there. That flattop red looks beautiful! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk