Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 Performer Premium review  (Read 6659 times)

Copperkettle218

• Smokey Joe
2015 Performer Premium review
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »
I recently purchased a 2015 model Performer Premium and thought you fanatics would enjoy hearing a little more about the changes made for this year.  It was purchased to replace my existing Performer, which I bought about a year ago - my dad's inheriting that one - so I've got a great basis for comparison with the existing Performer.  Both my old and new Performers are the fantastically pretty, surprisingly subtle Copper color introduced for last year, which has a metallic pearl effect to it and is quite stunning in the sun. 

The Premium model replaces what was last year called the Performer Gold, and it's basically the same grill.  Unlike the Performer Deluxe (which replaces the corresponding Platinum) it does not have the Touch-n-Go gas ignition assist, which I feel is not a convincing upgrade from my chimney starter.  However, and pardon if this is familiar to you, the following parts were upgraded:

- Lid and handle
- Lid bail
- ash catcher
- worktable

Otherwise, the '15s use the same cart, panel, tool hooks, clock, charcoal bin, and other parts as the '14s, so I will focus on the above-listed changes.

THE LID AND HANDLE

Many purists will miss the old, welded handles.  The new handle attaches through holes in the lid, using some rather interesting combo bolt-washer pieces that are torqued down with a provided soft plastic socket wrench.  The bolts that hold the lid on flare to a sort of washer and have a rounded, soft shape, and the wrench is soft, making it basically impossible to overtorque the lid attachment.  It feels solidly attached when mounted.  The handle is now considerably taller than the old one and a curved metal "taco holder" heat shield now protects the plastic from getting too hot.  In practice, it does so quite well, keeping it comfortable to grip even with a raging fire underneath. I'm not sure it was necessary, but the redesigned handle is not objectionable. 

The thermometer and vent are both relocated.  I'm happy with neither location, honestly.  The vent and thermometer now lie on opposite sides of the handle, and one will be facing you at all times.  I prefer the vent to sit to my right, with the thermometer in front of me, as with the '14 models.  I just kept the old lid, since my colors match, so it's a moot point for this guy...but many will not be pleased with where the vent has been relocated to.  This wasn't a change that needed to be made, but at least it's still offset from the top of the lid a bit.

THE BAIL

The redesigned lid bail is great.  The lid is now held at a nearly vertical angle, maybe 85 degrees or so, and the entire cooking surface is exposed and easy to reach even for tall guys.  I'm about 6'0 tall, and I'm an active griller - I'm in there flipping kebabs and checking temps often, and the Pac-Man lid angle on the older performers definitely got in the way often.  It makes the whole grill a lot more usable and ergonomic.  Couldn't be happier to see that change, and it's what convinced me to pony up for the new one.  But why doesn't it hold the lid at 90 degrees? 

THE ASH CATCHER

The new ash catcher is, as advertised, easier to get on and off.  One just squeezes the handle and it swings down and out.  To replace, one just slots two metal pegs on the side of the ash bucket into slots on the metal collar, squeezes the handle, and levers it up.  However, the effort required to squeeze the handle is high.  I'm 32 and I'm a rock climber - my hands are very strong.  I have no trouble, but those with arthritis and other issues may struggle to disengage the new ash catcher. 

THE TABLE

The table is just so purty.  It's thick, heavy-gauge steel finished with a very handsome hammertone gray-black finish, and it looks like a million bucks.  It's obviously very durable, heatproof, and easy to clean - all demerits to the old gray plastic table top.  It's also compatible with magnetic hooks, grill lights, paper towel holders, and other such gimcracks.  Anybody who's ever had an oil stain, crack, or scratch on the old table will appreciate this upgrade. 

MISC:

The wheels and timer are also slightly redesigned for '15, in inconsequential ways.  The face of the timer is smaller.  I use my phone for that anyway.

So, CK, should I buy it or what?

If you've got $400 or so that's burning a hole in your pocket, by all means.  In most respects, this is a huge upgrade from last year's performer, in ways that improve the durability, ergonomics, and usability of the grill.  As someone who grills easily 3-5 times a week, that's not inconsequential for my enjoyment.  However, the new lid was changed in ways that weren't really crying out for change, and the lid is now less functional than before.  That's not a huge demerit, but it's not one that deserves to be ignored. 

Where should I buy it?

Funny you ask.  I've been having trouble with Amazon and grills.  I'm an Amazon loyalist and I buy a lot of stuff on that website, but this is now the third Weber grill that has arrived to me from Amazon with damage.  In this case, Weber had to replace the bowl for me.  Last year, they replaced the lid and tabletop.  Before that, I had a One-Touch Gold arrive in poor shape to the recipient, and it was a gift.  Either Amazon or UPS is doing a very bad job keeping these things in good shape, and so I recommend taking delivery at a brick and mortar store where you can inspect it before dropping money.  However, Amazon did give me a generous 30% partial refund, which made my wife much happier about the purchase and justified the hassle.  They did right by me in the end, but it was not a trouble-free experience.

BOTTOM LINE:

The world's best charcoal grill just got a major upgrade at no additional cost.  If you're looking to replace an older Performer or One-Touch, I recommend it, but do evaluate the lid and handle to see if they meet your needs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:41:46 PM by Copperkettle218 »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: 2015 Performer Premium review
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Thanks for the review!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
Excellent review Copperkettle!

Welcome to the site and thanks for taking the time to do the write up! Looking forward to seeing some culinary masterpieces from you in the near future - with a grill like that you have no excuses! ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:46:07 AM »
Nice review. I just picked up an older performer and might upgrade with parts from the 2015 model.

Post a pic of this rig. 8)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
Nice review! The new lid bums me out.
May The Smoke Be With You!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 09:45:33 AM »
Sounds like a nice grill.

Are the lid bale holes on the bowl spaced the same?  I've heard both the they are and also that the 2015 are closer together than the pre-2015 bowls.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:48:10 AM by ClubChapin »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
;)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »
The lid bale wire holes are not in the same place

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
The lid bale wire holes are not in the same place

Dammit.  Now they have to stock multiple part number for spares.

Do we know how well the new bales work in the old bowls, if at all?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »
I can try to check tomorrow when it's light

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »
I can try to check tomorrow when it's light

Cool, thanks.  I think I've hear that the bale holes on the new Performer are 1" or so closer than on the older.  What are the differences in the Bale and the Bale support between the '15 and the older?

The '15 MT does not have the new bale system, correct?  Is it the same as the older Performer/MT Bale system?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
It's a different wire

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
Is it longer?  Is the support that connects it to the bowl in the center different?  I presume that is also longer.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
Here's my review with some pictures, don't know if this helps...

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/10/15/2015-weber-performer-deluxe-review/

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 12:51:15 AM »
Great questions Club Chapin
A lot of us MT/Performer owners want to know if you can retro fit the new lid bale without drilling any new holes?
Great review too BTW
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:24:11 AM by Hogsy »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution