Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any interest in wood tops for Performers  (Read 3588 times)

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
Any interest in wood tops for Performers
« on: October 22, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
I'm thinking about building some wood tops for performers and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in purchasing them. I've found some butcher block countertops that would work. They would be a full 1 1/2" thick and just a mineral oil finish. Price would probably be $100. I know recently there was a post about a guy in San Diego selling for $90, but mine would be thicker and not some 1x8's screwed together. They would also be built in a state of the art cabinet shop. I'm going to build one for myself and one for @argentflame. So I would have enough left over for one more. And if there's any interest I could always make more. Let me know. Thanks

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
Re: Any interest in wood tops for Performers
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
I would be interested in one at or about that price point.  How would a mineral oil finish hold up in a coastal NC climate (warm and humid) with a grill stored outdoors with a cover and the covered grill is parked beneath a deck?  Square butcher block or regular?  I may prefer a square look just to have something different.  Counter sunk screws and same thickness as OEM?

Truth be told,  I think I'd like a granite one the best if it was feasible from a price point of view and wasn't too heavy.  Of course I'd want to chose the granite from a menu of choices.  I think you can see where this could go....

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
I would love a larger table but my cover is pretty snug already.  I think even making it square would make the cover not fit. As far as the finish holding up, I'm not sure. I just know to be "food safe" mineral oil is your best bet. Personally I don't see myself using it as a cutting board or food prep area, just a nicer looking please to set stuff.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:57 AM »
It would also be nice to fasten it from the bottom so there would be no screws on top. This is just an idea and I'd have to play around with it to see how it would work.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
do people really prep food on the side table though?  or maybe people just think "butcher block" because it's a surface you would be cooking near?

i tend to think the actual food prep is done in the kitchen where all the supplies and spices are.  at least that where i do prep work. 

the butcher block look is cool and all but i'd wager that a custom finish'd piece of attractive wood would be nicer than butcher block. 

maybe it's more preference and to each their own though. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
It would also be nice to fasten it from the bottom so there would be no screws on top. This is just an idea and I'd have to play around with it to see how it would work.

FWIW, the screw that comes from the top thru the table and into the frame also works from the bottom.

I've formed a bracket that comes from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the wood (imagine a stretched 'S'), and used the original frame screws. I guess for butcher block (or any wood), just use a wood screw up thru the frame.

The captive nut in the frame may drop out the bottom of the frame hole, but since my granite top weighs 3/4 of a ton it hasn't been an issue.

I'm trying to get to 1000 words because I don't have a picture at the moment    ::)

do people really prep food on the side table though?  or maybe people just think "butcher block" because it's a surface you would be cooking near?

i tend to think the actual food prep is done in the kitchen where all the supplies and spices are.  at least that where i do prep work. 

the butcher block look is cool and all but i'd wager that a custom finish'd piece of attractive wood would be nicer than butcher block. 

maybe it's more preference and to each their own though. 

I prep on my Performer, but I have a large Ikea cutting board that I use...

I think you're right Greg, any fine piece of wood (or granite   ;D ) would look nice.

Dude, relax your chicken.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:07:39 PM »
if I had a performer, I'd get one.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
Yes I will take one for sure.
May The Smoke Be With You!

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:08 AM »
Wish you were on the East Coast!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »

FWIW, the screw that comes from the top thru the table and into the frame also works from the bottom.

I've formed a bracket that comes from the bottom of the frame to the bottom of the wood (imagine a stretched 'S'), and used the original frame screws. I guess for butcher block (or any wood), just use a wood screw up thru the frame.

The captive nut in the frame may drop out the bottom of the frame hole, but since my granite top weighs 3/4 of a ton it hasn't been an issue.

I'm trying to get to 1000 words because I don't have a picture at the moment    ::)

A picture...

<<<<<< 997
Dude, relax your chicken.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:32 PM »
gonna have to negate my previous post. snagged a performer yesterday(w/o consulting the wife unit), but won't be able to spend the $$ for one of these. long post short, wifey isn't pleased at the unannounced addition and (except for deals already in progress and getting a dedicated pizza grill and appropriate mods) pretty much nixed any further expenditures outside of maintenance/repairs.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
gonna have to negate my previous post. snagged a performer yesterday(w/o consulting the wife unit), but won't be able to spend the $$ for one of these. long post short, wifey isn't pleased at the unannounced addition and (except for deals already in progress and getting a dedicated pizza grill and appropriate mods) pretty much nixed any further expenditures outside of maintenance/repairs.
I understand. I just brought home a performer that the wife wasn't too happy about.