Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Electric start on Performer ss conversion  (Read 6288 times)

f2benny

• Smokey Joe
Electric start on Performer ss conversion
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
Newb here looking to possibly pick up performer ss black this weekend on CL.  Looks from pics like decent condition.  I'm eager to begin to trick it out a bit.

I don't see anyone converting the old touch n go starter to the newer electric style.  The whole performer starter kit appears to be $20 bucks.  Anyone tried to hook up an old performer with one?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Electric start on Performer ss conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
Hi Benny, I think we're waiting on you to be the first? I asked about this same thing previously but it just been a priority for me to try.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Is there a part number for the electric start?  I'd give it a try.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »
This is what I *think* I know from researching.

The two parts needed are the module and the button. The existing two wires from the igniter connect to it. Don't ask me about the colors. The grill has black/white and the electronic module's terminals expect red/black or maybe red/white wires. Not sure.

Anyway, the button threads into the module, which it what keeps them both in place. The "only" reason (again, I'm guessing) some of the various gasser parts aren't ideal is because the module attaches by itself to the frame and the button isn't a threaded style. But there shouldn't be a reason why most wouldn't electrically work. I don't think the igniter in any event cares.

http://help.weber.com/schematics/Browse.aspx?model=1481001&Sequence=21&Suffix=

30158201 -- button
85681 -- module

That's for the 2013 but the 2014, '15 should be identical.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
Weber wouldn't sell me these as they are not valid parts for my grills.  Not finding them in stock elsewhere.  Will look more tonight.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 03:32:24 PM by ClubChapin »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 04:24:25 PM »
That's disappointing but not unexpected. This may have to be the kind of thing one of us has to fudge the truth ... you're not the only one who was truthful with Weber and got turned down. In their defense, corporations have no "mechanism" for helping DIYers and hobbyists, and so what usually happens is Joe Public buys the wrong thing and it costs Weber money because now they've paid for shipping, have to restock and so on.

Not that anyone asked, but that's the scenario that plays out.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
I know.  In the same call, they let me order SS Ash Sweepers for my older Performers.  They would also not let me order the new lid bale.

These guys have the button in stock, but not the Ignition Module.  I've ordered both, we'll see how long it takes to fill.:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/button-for-ignition-module-threaded-style-gray-p-1477673.html
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ignition-module-p-1868748.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:39:21 PM by ClubChapin »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
Check this place.....don't know enough about these gizmos to really know what to look for, but they might have it....

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/brands/weber/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 04:55:30 PM »
... In the same call, they let me order SS Ash Sweepers for my older Performers. ...

Exactly. Now, if you owned a recent model they would have turned you down because the SS sweepers weren't stock on it.

(Which year did you tell them by the way ... ? I've never known what years they were available.)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
I didn't realize that the stock sweepers on my SS Performers were SS.

IVe registered 1 '04 and 2 '99 performers.

Need to figure out how to register a '15.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
These guys have the button in stock, but not the Ignition Module.  I've ordered both, we'll see how long it takes to fill.:
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/button-for-ignition-module-threaded-style-gray-p-1477673.html
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ignition-module-p-1868748.html

Was notified that these are shipping now.

Hopefully will have in hand by next weekend.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
Received these parts.  First, the button is included with the igniter.  No need to purchase a separate button.

I did need to cut the black lead in install a new terminal.

Other than that, no further modification needed.

Went right in and works like a champ.

I do need to point out that it fixes to the Performer with a black plastic nut.  This nut fits inside the cut out in the control panel fine.

The button screws on top of the nut.  It's bezel does not fit in the control panel hole.  It does have a turn or so of thread on the slightly raised panel.  It would work also just sitting loosely on the ignition mechanism.  It will need to be removed to replace the tank.

It seems to be the same height as the original button.  therefore, it must sit a little higher than the old as it is on top of the control pane.  The door seems to close fine.  I'm unsure if the button is touching the bottom of the door or not.  It does not seem to hold the door up at all and certainly, the door does not start the igniter.

While I had the mechanism off, I took the opportunity to twist my igniter wires together.  I think it is a little neater, a little more out of the way, and a little safer for them.

Pete

« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:42:26 PM by ClubChapin »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
Hey thanks for taking one for the team, Pete and posting back about the results. Seems like a pretty simple and effective mod!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »
it should be called the "gniter mod". 

thanks for posting the info Pete! 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
No worries.  It's quite nice.  Not that the manual button is difficult or anything.

With the twisting of wires and losing 1" or so of the black one (I left enough of a tail on the old igniter so it can be re-used at some point if needed) the wires are a straight shot between the button and the igniter.  Not banjo string tight, but I wouldn't want them any shorter.  It is nice having them up and out of the way.