Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Question  (Read 4545 times)

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
Pizza Question
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:35 PM »
What charcoal/lump set up do y'all prefer for cooking pizza in a 22.5 kettle, without the kettle pizza attachment?

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
Re: Pizza Question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
I have the KettlePizza I use Kingsford BB, along with wood. Lump IMO gets too hot. Even without the KP I will still use KBB
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:23 AM »
How do you set your coals up?  I've seen three different ways, on videos, and was wondering if there's benefits to certain set ups.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:14:03 AM »
Swamp, I don't do much pizza so might not be a lot of help here.....

On the front page, I put in some pics of MacEggs setup that seems to work really well.....he's using a Kettle Pizza attachment though, so it might be different....

See:

http://weberkettleclub.com/

about 2/3 down the page, currently....

Main thing is to raise the height so they get done evenly.....like you can see in his, firebrick helps guide the setup, so the coal setup works around & with that........

I would imagine one of the 3 sets you've seen are like that & I suppose it depends some on how high of heat you're aiming for...................

A quick description of what those setups are like would give folks a point to maybe better answer what's good about each?

Or, post the links to the videos?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:42:27 AM »
One was just coals all in the entire bottom of the kettle, with the pizza stone in the center.  Another was coals only on two sides of the kettle, in charcoal holders, with the pizza stone in the center.  Another was with all the coals to one side, and the pizza stone to the opposite side.

I'm not planning on getting it too hot. I'm not sure how much heat the thermo can take.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 06:03:47 AM »

Thanks....I'd think two sides or a "C" shape around the stone would give the most even distribution of heat.....

Raising it UP somehow is the thing I've seen people talk about more than anything else....otherwise, possible burnt bottom & unfinished toppings..........

Baskets to me are a little constrictive on the heat.....I've had some issue with using them for higher heat grillings........seems to me they can drop the airflow some.....just a thought...............

you don't have to go way high heat, just enough to get through the cook fairly quick & even.....

There's several people who really know their stuff on this......they'll be having coffee soon, or I'll find some previous threads..............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
Thanks for your help.  I wasn't sure if the coal set up was just preference, or not.  Sort of like the brisket fat cap up/fat cap down debate.  LOL
I'm really looking forward to cooking a pizza on my kettle.  I've been studying it, and it looks like some of the greatest eats ever.

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:28:41 AM »
I use a stone, and I do the C around the stone with the charcoal. I have firebrick under the stone. I also place a basket of wood on top of the grate behind the stone, just like a oven uses. Then the relflector and bricks on top. Still working on my temps and timing especially balancing stone temp and ceiling temp. Just like rest of the different cooking methods, this one has a learning curve as well. But unlike a hunk of meat, the crust makeup has a big effect. I will start documenting my cooks to see if I can help others
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
Jmeier, will you post up some pics of your setup?

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
I use a mixture of lump and charcoal. Fill a chimney, light it and pour it in the middle. I then put my stone directly above it on the grate and put the lid on so it's not completely on to get more oxygen to it to get it as hot as possible. Usually takes about ten minutes and then it's hot enough to cook in.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
I cook a lot of pizzas without a Kettle Pizza attachment. Basically what you want to have is enough heat above your pizza as below so it cooks evenly. On the 22" kettle you want to raise your stone off the grate. You can use the chacoal holders to do this or some other method. I use an 18" grate with ss bolts to create a higher shelf for my pizza stone. I generally use one full chimney of lit kbb and do a semi circle. If I do a full circle I add some unlit to the lit and let the kettle and stone preheat. With this I gey kettle temps around 550. I've been resisting on getting a kettle pizza but I might get one anyways.

Or a deep dish if you like those.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:34:58 PM by Nate »

SwampDonkeyzBBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the help guys!  The pictures helped out too!

AggieOE12

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 07:52:55 PM »
My goodness I've never seen pictures that have made me so hungry!

So how long are y'all cooking for?

Weber One Touch Gold 22.5" Copper

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:05:54 PM »
My goodness I've never seen pictures that have made me so hungry!

So how long are y'all cooking for?

My typical pies cook for 8-10 minutes. The deep dish runs about 20 min. These are my times for the pizzas I posted above. I have a Kettle Pizza ordered and will be here Monday. Can't wait to give this thing a go. 8)

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 01:07:15 PM »

Mine is similar as far as raising the racks go.  I used an 18" grate & bolts to get it up in the air.
Also took off the hinged portions of the 22" grate for easier access if I want to add more coals or wood chunk/chips

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!