Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lid Therm Mod for Kettle  (Read 10662 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Lid Therm Mod for Kettle
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Thank you DirectDrive, here's mine!

I installed it as close to the vent-side as possible on my new Jumbo Joe. I figured for indirect cooks, food would be closer to that. To hell with the thermometer's probe potentially poking into the food.

The other mods shown here are a "replacement" lid damper w/ handle (the blk insulating piece) and stainless steel screw holding that on.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »
Parts ordered to do this to my old Bar-B-Kettle. Thanks for the detail!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »
This is great info and thanks for the write up but I do have a couple of questions. Is the triangulation still 5" if installing on a 22.5? Also what is the purpose of using the step bit" (trade name Uni-Bit). Can I just use a 1/4 high speed bit? Thanks in advance.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »
This is great info and thanks for the write up but I do have a couple of questions. Is the triangulation still 5" if installing on a 22.5? Also what is the purpose of using the step bit" (trade name Uni-Bit). Can I just use a 1/4 high speed bit? Thanks in advance.W

I did mine on a 22.5 - I just marked a spot where I thought it would look good, and made sure that spot was equal distant from the two handle supports to ensure it was "centered".

You don't have to use a unibit, but I would recommend starting with a very small bit and working your way up to 1/4.  This will minimize the potential for chipping the finish.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.