Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got A Package In The Mail...A Early Birthday Present  (Read 3738 times)

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Re: Got A Package In The Mail...A Early Birthday Present
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
Great birthday gift. Congrats.
A Wonderful Family!!!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
happy birthday!
I only use kettles with lid bales.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »
So here's the whole story on this birthday red!

... As Hoss mentioned - He and I had spoken a few times on the phone trying to get him set up with a red MT. Unfortunately the only one I had available at the time I had invested some decent coin into so I wasn't able to help him out nearly as much as I would have liked to. It just didn't make sense for either of us, so the plan was to keep looking and hopefully "something would come up"

(=) Pause the story for a second here...

You need to understand that here up north the chances of a red MT surfacing AT ALL, let alone within a week before Big H's b-day was more or less impossible. This was more just words we said to each other to make ourselves feel better and to help distract us from the cold hard facts we both secretly knew...

(>) Back to the story!

So at this point I've more or less given up hope of fulfilling our mission but then some sort of tiny miracle happened! Later that day I go rushing out the door to run an errand, jump in the jeep and take the same route I always do around the corner and down the hill when all of a sudden I spot a flash of red on my way past... I think I damn near locked up the brakes still not even knowing if it was indeed a kettle, let alone a MT! Finally pulled a U-turn when it was safe and did the creepy slow drive by to scope things out and there she was!! One more U-turn and I was in the driveway! Holy Crap it's a MT.

My heart was racing at this point - and considering I had only done one cold call previously I was fairly nervous as well. I knocked on the door, no answer, tried again... nothing. Then just as I'm about to back out a Man and his daughter come around the side of the house and flag me down. I jumped back out and tried to best explain why a crazy person was in their yard asking to buy his dirty old BBQ ;) ;D The owner ended up being a really great guy and said that if I were to replace his with something as good or better it was mine! I then did a small dance, gave him a huge hug and kiss (ok, not really) and then sped off to find something to offer up. In the end I set him up with a like new OTS and he seemed thrilled about the deal! He had a big smile on his face and so did I!

Flashback to an hour prior to the discovery while Hoss and I were chatting on the phone - we discussed how "Sometimes grills are just meant to go to a specific person". Clearly this was just meant to be my friend!

Happy early Birthday Hoss - the Red MT is now "Home"  :)

Take care,

Matt
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:02:07 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »

Great hearing the parts of the story I did not know yet.  I love that picture!!!  I cleaned the inner lid but not the lip today and am seasoning the red MT and a newly put together copper right now:

I have beef fat in both cookers and am running white oak chunks.  Around the corner past the charcoal I am smoking 22 pounds of brisket point (4 or them on a big WSM) in order to make burnt ends on Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:33:42 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"