Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System Sear Grate Set  (Read 2457 times)

dana summers

• Happy Cooker
Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System Sear Grate Set
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has used Weber's original gourmet BBQ system sear grate set for their charcoal grill? Is it worth spending the money on it and does one get better results than using the wire grate that comes with the original unit? At one time and this appears in Webers old catalogs a corn and potatoe holder that ran the circumference of the charcoal grill. Does anyone make any units like that any more as well in one old catalog they had an elevated shelf for the charcoal grill? They look like they would be good space savers.
Dana

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System Sear Grate Set
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 08:36:03 AM »
I am also wondering as to the pros and cons of the gourmet system. Primary interest is in pizza stone, sear, wok, and griddle.
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:37:48 AM »
Hi Dana,

The gourmet system is a great upgrade especially if you can find it on sale or clearance (not uncommon!). If you're not in a rush I would suggest holding tight until you can find a deal.

If you use the search feature at the top of the page and enter "sear grate" of "gourmet system" you'll find lots more good info.

As for the Corn n' Tator, those are old school and not available new anymore. Many members specifically hunt these accessory gems down since they are so cool.

Good luck on the hunt!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »
Regarding the Gourmet System... In my experience the sear grate is excellent, griddle is excellent, but I find the wok a bit small to do anything really substantial. There are really cool vintage weber woks (larger than the whole 22" kettle) that are amazing and also on the top of many kettle head wish lists :)

I don't have the gourmet system pizza stone, but a different model with a similar concept and it's worked out great.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:05:46 AM by SixZeroFour »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »
I use the griddle the most , the sear grate leaves nice triangle grill marks but it's not anything spectacular that you can't live without  , I didn't buy the wok I felt it to small and I don't have the pizza stone , don't see a need for it . I use the system on my performer , it's a good heavy duty grate system should last forever.
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
I agree w/ 604 and Idahawk (just trying to make more points).

The grate of the Gourmet system is 'grate'. It's very heavy duty. I have the pizza stone and the griddle, both are cool.

I just picked up the CI wok from Walmart (free delivery to my local market) and it drops right in. I'm seasoning it now, figuring I can use it for smaller cooks. I'll try to add pics to the thread...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/ci-walmart-com/msg125931/#msg125931

And yes...

"There are really cool vintage weber woks (larger than the whole 22" kettle) that are amazing and also on the top of many kettle head wish lists"

They are amazing!

They are pricy so see if you can get it on sale, clearance, coupons, etc. We were lucky here on the Left Coast as we had some go on clearance at a local HW store.
Dude, relax your chicken.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:59:48 AM »
The elevated racks you saw in the catalog are the highly-prized 'warming racks' I believe, now no longer available in North America.  They do work really well as extra space for roasting foods, allowing you to 'piggyback' food up above the main cooking grate.  They do pop up on Craigslist and Ebay at times, so keep an eye out there.  And Weber actually still sells them overseas, so if you have any friends who live or travel outside the country they might be able to send one back to you. 
One of the charcoal people.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »

Here's a Corn N Tater on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Corn-Roasting-Grilling-Ring-Rack-Holds-16-Ears-Fits-22-Weber-Kettle-/400774266707?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d5001ff53
I bid on that one. Was out bid pretty quick. I will keep on searching. Not really looking to spend more than $40 on one. Maybe a little more if it's still new.