Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Ranch Cook  (Read 3154 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
First Ranch Cook
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
I have been admiring this thing for a couple of weeks now, time to get acquainted!

I wanted to be able to go low and slow with this kettle, and to that end, fabricated a charcoal basket.  It holds a good amount of charcoal.  Here it is all welded up:

The setup:  Basket filled with charcoal and wine barrel oak, fire brick border, drip pans, and a brick to counterbalance the whole thing (thanks for the idea buckie).  If you look close, I put a firebrick underneath the charcoal grate in the middle to prevent sagging.

I cook on a wooden deck, so safety is a primary concern.  I have a few SS performer shelves hanging around  ;), so I used one to prevent hot ash from dropping on the deck.  I would be cooking with two vents closed, and one open 1/2 way.  Ran my temp wires through the vent:

Pork butts injected, and dry rubbed the day before:

I started the cook at 9:00 PM.  I realize you can't see this, but had to record "first coals":

I cooked with the top vent about 1/4 open.  The ranch stayed right on temp (225 - 250) all night!  At 5 am, I decided drip beans were in order.  Bushes with chopped onion, chopped peppers, pork from my last cook, honey, molasses, garlic, salt and pepper.

Still having room to spare, I decide turds were in order.  Whole japs with cream cheese, honey dry rub, and little cheddar smokies.

At 8:00 am, I had to put more charcoal in the basket to continue the cook, meaning my charcoal basket is good for about 11 hours.  Not bad!

After loading 1/2 a basket of charcoal and some more oak, I put the turds over the drip beans to get the bacon drippings:

Beans are done:

At 12:00 the port was 205 - it was a 15 hour cook.  Starting to pull the pork.  It has the best bark on it!:

The payoff.  I cheated and used some of the pulled pork from the drip beans to make sliders for breakfast, along with turds and a side of drips:

If pulled pork sliders, drip beans, and turds for breakfast is wrong, I don't wanna be right....

Very happy with the cook.  The Ranch is a keeper - very easy to use with a ton of capacity.  I could have easily doubled the amount of pork, beans, and turds using the same setup.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First Ranch Cook
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »

If pulled pork sliders, drip beans, and turds for breakfast is wrong, I don't wanna be right....

No you're right alright.....I've had that exact same breakfast numerous times.....

Great first COOKUP !!!!

Heavy duty bark, nice 'Turds, excellent looking bean pan.....top notch !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »
And the mothership delivers on the out of this world food!

Everything looks great Winz and I can't believe all that food only used a fraction of the grill space!! Charcoal basket is perfect as well! Congrats and enjoy that beauty!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »
Excellent cook up Jeff.  That looks like a righteous breakfast to me too, not a thing wrong with that there at all.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
Food looks out of this world. Great first cook.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
Outstanding cook, Jeff!  8)

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
Everything looks great!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:08:06 AM »
Nice cook up. The amount if space is incredible in the ranch.

How many pounds of charcoal did you use to load up your homemade basket?

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:37 AM »
Great looking cook Winz!

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:07:01 AM »
It's 9:00 in the morning here, and I am looking at this (have not had breakfast yet) and my stomach is growling something fierce.

That right there, looks wonderful.  Love the bark, and love the beans.  The turds just kick it all into overdrive. 

Wicked cook!   :)
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:09:51 AM »
Awesome for sure!  Pulled pork sliders for breakfast is definitely a great meal.
I trust you got some sleep while the ranch chugged away?
One of those BBQ mats may be in order.. For piece of mind..
Maybe an internal ash pan custom made for the ranch?

And Costco sells a jumbo pack of Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Those make awesome sliders!

I don't recall, did you give the Ranch a name? I think something along the lines of a Cruise Ship name is in order.
Do we have to start calling you Captain Winz?
Commander of the big ship _____________(insert name here)
You're also gonna need one of those hats that captains wear.. Mostly to protect your head from all this flying BS! Lol..
Thanks for sharing..
AJ   8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:14:38 AM »
Yum :) Fantastic looking cook! 8)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
For piece of mind..
Maybe an internal ash pan custom made for the ranch?

Funny, I was just thinking about that.  My initial thought was to make an ash pan that is "hooked" to the triangle, just like an old Wood Dale.  I am thinking I can use an Ranch ash pan replacement from Weber, make the U shaped cut outs, and fasten it up with hooks from my blacksmith buddy:

And Costco sells a jumbo pack of Kings Hawaiian Rolls. Those make awesome sliders!

Thats what we used - they are the best!.  I bought two packs of Kings at costco - we are having sliders all weekend.

I don't recall, did you give the Ranch a name?

Yes I did.  In honor of our time living in New Mexico, and thematic with the spaceship look, my Ranch is now officially named "Roswell".

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »
The Roswell.. I like it..

Overheard on a recent trip:

Attention Passengers.. This is your Captain speaking, Capn Winz.. Were preparing a great trip for you today..Fasten you seat belts and get ready for the ride.. Its gonna be a bit rough at first, but once we get high, ahem.. reach altitude.. it will be smooth sailing till we reach the top of the mountain..
Whats that? NO, this is not the Hindenburg!!  This is the Roswell... No more questions please.. The little green people are starting to get nervous.. Me? No I don't smoke any of that funny stuff..

Oh nurse..errr. Flight Attendant.. I'm ready for my shot.. No, not that kind of shot.. My Tequila of course.. silly people...

8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:33:37 AM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..