Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just some simple fajitas  (Read 1777 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Just some simple fajitas
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
Hey all, I made up some of my simple fajitas on the kettle. They are one of my all-star cooks at my house. These were steak and chicken. I just slice up the meat thin and throw it in a ziploc with fresh squeezed lime juice, evoo, shake some cumin, chili powder, and sea salt in there and let it marinate for a while. I slice up the peppers and onions thin. I cook the meat in the basket first, then when it is mostly done I take it off and put the veggies in over pretty high heat. Then when they look good I dump the meat back in and cook it all for a while longer. I love this basket with the locking lid. I can really shake stuff up without it going everywhere. I just have to remember, that freakin' handle is hot, wear my gloves!!

I did some bananas foster that I saw on the web. It was pretty easy and delicious. My dog even jumped on the table after we left the room and licked the bowls clean. Oh well, saves me doing the dishes.  :o

I love doing the tortillas on the kettle. It takes about twenty seconds to get them done. It's only few seconds from perfect to charred.

Here's your first fajita, I like to load 'em up.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:31:12 PM by Mark Schnell »

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: Just some simple fajitas
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:17:07 PM »
Here's a link for the bananas foster. It's pretty easy. https://www.yahoo.com/food/bananas-foster-on-the-grill-86516246346.html

I used bananas that were a little spotty, the ones the site says not to use. They were fine. I forgot to sprinkle some of the rub on it when it was dished up, but still awesome!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:19:53 PM by Mark Schnell »

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Looks good. Where did you get the basket from?  Would you recommend it?  I've been looking for one like that and haven't had any luck.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:54:38 PM »
I don't know anything about it. I bought it at a consignment shop. It was new but had no tags and has no markings on it. I would highly recommend it, just can't tell you anything about it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
I am liking everything there ... looks delicious, Mark!

I suppose a CI pan would work well for this, eh?! Thanks for sharing.  :D

You're right, the torts do not take long to warm up.  ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure a CI pan would be great. Of course, in the restaurants they bring fajitas to the table on a cast iron platter, but I'm not sure if they are cooked on that or are just served that way. I guess I was looking for the charring that you get from direct cooking over the coals. I usually cook the meat directly on the grate for a few minutes before putting it in the basket too. I just have to be careful not to lose any between the gaps.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
You know, this cook is one of those where I feel a little bit like a grilling superstar in my own home. It's not fancy, it wouldn't win any culinary awards, and it's not even original to me. But when I announce that it's fajitas night the kids cheer and I'm a hero for doing the entire meal on the Weber. Gotta love that! 8)

I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
You know, this cook is one of those where I feel a little bit like a grilling superstar in my own home. It's not fancy, it wouldn't win any culinary awards, and it's not even original to me. But when I announce that it's fajitas night the kids cheer and I'm a hero for doing the entire meal on the Weber. Gotta love that! 8)

That's the ticket !!!!

You're a grilling superstar in my book, too ................. 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »

This is awesome and it's what this  is really  all about.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
Great Mark, it's almost 11 pm here and now I am craving a damned fajita because of this post ;D.
Awesome post though and that basket got me doing a image search till I found something similar
and this is what I found. I hope it helps those interested in that basket like I am.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GH0T38/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00K30JK80&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09M9BG0EZ63RN0BSW60H

AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28:53 PM »
Great find, Mirkwood. That's the exact basket! My handle fell off so that's why it's missing in my photos. I've just got to get around to getting some stainless steel screws and washers to fix it. It's pretty important for functionality too.