Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dinosaur Beef Ribs  (Read 2779 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Dinosaur Beef Ribs
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »
Has anyone cooked dino beef ribs on a kettle? This article says you can basically just smoke them low and slow:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/05/23/big-bad-beef-ribs/#.U4Y20ZRdWis

Probably going to be making them for a cookout this weekend and was curious if anyone has made them before? Looking for any tips. I was just going to smoke them like any other kind of rib.

This is a picture of what they look like. The hand is there to show scale.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:37:11 AM by mhiszem »
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Dinosaur Beef Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
Here are some from Aawa:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=5965.0

And some more from Aawa:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=6591.0

Keep us posted on how this goes! :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:09:32 AM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »

First, getcha a really big piece of charcoal.....you're gonna need it.....

Kiddin', but it takes a little cooking to get them right......

Good tags of Awaa's cookups.....you'll notice he went longer & slightly lower heat on the ones that were  more recent.....

there's two membranes on beef ribs like that... take the first one off if  you're game, don't bother with the second one, or even just score the meat in between if it seems like too much work......

season fairly simple like basic brisket or beef type rub you might use.....

Go medium low heat 250~275 for 4+ hours, the bones should pull way back, if they seem a little dry on the surface, you can mist them with apple juice / cider vinegar mix or beef broth strained....or foil wrap with a bit of broth in the bottom to braize for an hour or a bit more.....

These ones were salt, lite pepper, garlic powder & UN-sweetened cocoa powder rub.....approx. the time listed above, except a little less in foil....

Yours may not be quite that thick of meat, but it does take a gentle while to get the fat to render correctly.....so try 3-1/2 hours, check with toothpick or probe for tender, then maybe braize for a short time.....that give you enough to go on?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
Perfect, thanks for all of the tips. Waiting to see what I get from the butcher but I figured I was looking at least 4 hours cook time. I am really looking forward to cooking these. Going to make some classic 'turds also.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
I love beef ribs. I have done mine a couple of ways. But by far the most popular and successful,  is by using my own S&P rub, and just cooking them using the snake for about 7 hours.

There will be some cooks of mine on here, but I can't link using my phone.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »
Jo........

I thought I remembered either you or Golly fixing some up.....couldn't recall key title words or section though....in Food Pr0n?

Edit :  Here's JoCool's

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/no-salad-wednesday/msg112634/#msg112634

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/beef-ribs-take-2/msg62506/#msg62506

The lead up ain't bad either !!!

~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bacon-wrapped-everything/msg112276/#msg112276
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:18:00 AM by 1buckie »

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:42 AM »
I do these myself from time to time.  For my taste I think they need a little bit longer in smoke than pork ribs do.  Some times you get ones with a fair bit of fat running through them and to really get it nice and broken down they need just a bit longer.  I went with a base rub of just salt and black pepper (50 50 by weight) and then a light sprinkling of my regular bbq rub.

These were ones I did for 4 - 5 hours, but I think they could have used maybe another 30 - 60 minutes

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:31:04 AM by Johnpv »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Pretty dang nice John !!!

Yeah, that's my experience too....they need to go awhile to break down the fattiness in the layers....some people make a habit of panning or wrapping & braizing for an hour or two late in the game....that seemed to help quite a bit when I tried it.....

The best ones I've done had salt, pepper & UN-sweetened cocoa powder as a rub...the cocoa adds a really nice unidentifiable flavor that's not really sweet at all......UN-sweetened won't burn like suger in a rub...............

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
They look good enough to eat. ;)

I forego the rub and just use a toasted salt, pepper and cardomen sprinkle on them. Beef ribs have inherently got a stronger flavour than pork ribs. And with the fatty tissue and collegen that is rendered out and broken down, that flavour only increases.

I let mine go for at least 7 hours at about 220-250. I have yet to have a complaint.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Just a tip. When I make my S&P dust, I toss the whole peppercorns in a hot pan and toast them till they are smoking. Then I add the hymilayan pink salt with a few cardomen seeds (or you could use star anise) and let them smolder for a while. Then I take to them with a mortar and pestle.