Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mid Week Ribs  (Read 1751 times)

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
Mid Week Ribs
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:35 AM »
Off work an extended amount of time due to a new baby boy. No better way to celebrate than some discounted ribs on the WSM. Using the Meathead Memphis Dust recipe shared in another thread.

Decided to try rubbing one with mustard, just because I've heard a lot about it recently. It seemed liked it was easier to apply the rub to that set of spare ribs.

Rubbed up, 3 tablespoons of rub per side.

Setting up the WSM. Apple wood. Still getting used to the 18.5 WSM. Used too many coals and the smoker is running on the hotter end of the range at 265. Trying to get temps down without putting out the coals.

These barely fit. I should have trimmed some off.

Updates to follow.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:15:13 AM by unl1mtd »

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
Re: Mid Week Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:31:12 AM »
At the almost two hr mark.

Temps seem to be under control now, woot.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »
Those ribs are looking mighty tasty.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »
You're in for a treat wroth that rub. I'll be interested to hear if there's a taste duende using the mustard.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
Looks like those ribs are off to a great start, did you slide a drip pan of beans under the ribs?. Keep the updates and pics coming..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »

Looks like those ribs are off to a great start, did you slide a drip pan of beans under the ribs?. Keep the updates and pics coming..

No beans today. Should have though. 

At the 4 hr mark.

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 12:58:06 PM »
6 hrs, sauce going on to glaze

Sweet Baby rays, I know it's super commercial but I like it, so it works.

unl1mtd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »

Bent, cut, and consumed.

Honestly not super impressed with the rub. The ginger was very prominent. With no real heat I found it a little bland. When using the rest of it, I will probably mix in some cayenne and kosher salt.

However, as far as technique this wasn't my best effort and they were definitely a bit over cooked. You can see some of the ribs fell apart during slicing. An impromptu baby photo session delayed pulling but it could have been running the smoker a bit hot for a while. Who knows. Maybe all that threw off the flavor of the rub.

No flavor difference with the mustard. I think it's benefit was just in applying the rub.

Still a great dinner.