Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New toy!  (Read 3955 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: New toy!
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »

I can't speak to what drilling will do to the value, but it's your smoker, customize it so that it will best fit for your needs.  I think if it was a C-code it would be more of a collector's item and you would want to be more cautious about modifying it.

All that being said, BBQ Guru sells a eyelet that fits through the screw holes.  Similar to @Hell Fire Grill but without needing to drill anything.  I have no experience with it, but it might be an option for you: https://bbqguru.com/storenav?ProductId=51

Agreed - no need to drill holes in your WSM to insert probes.  In addition to the option above, I have found that you can create the same thing using hardware from the plumbing aisle at your local hardware store.  Here is a shot on one I made.  It replaces the grill grate supports currently in your smoker. 

It is simply a brass flange with a collar nut.  The flange allows you to thread most probes into the cooker.  The collar nut keeps the flange in place and supports your grill grate.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
Thanks guys! I took everything and finally decided I wanted atleast one hole.  I put a thermometer on the lid but kept it low enough to get a good idea on grate temperature.  All things considered it is an old smoker but I don't feel it's old enough to be preservation worthy. I did atleast "try" to keep it centered.  My first cook on it is a pork shoulder (dinner) and beef kabobs(lunch).

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
@Winz what probes do you use? I have a Maverick 732 and the BBQ guru kit says they won't fit.
Still need a 22” yellow

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »
@Winz what probes do you use? I have a Maverick 732 and the BBQ guru kit says they won't fit.

All my probes at K type thermocouple. Thermoworks carries them.   Both of these will fit:

http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-173

http://www.thermoworks.com/THS-113-178

Winz
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:52:42 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 02:48:23 AM »
Congrats!  It looks to be in real good shape.

Not sure about the appeal of the WSM, but I was just going thru. WSM section of the forum today to find more about it.  My naive thinking was that I can pretty much do any smoking just as well with my Weber 22" and my Akorn
Since I got my Akorn my WSM has gotten mighty lonely - and I used to use her frequently.  I may get in trouble for saying this but if you have an Akorn, you don't need a WSM  8)

I call for a life time ban.....  :)

I don't have an akorn but I do have a ceramic cooker and couldn't agree more.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"