Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New toy!  (Read 3956 times)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
New toy!
« on: June 13, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
So today I picked up a new toy to go with my Weber! I drove an hour to pay this man 50 bucks for this well used 1989 18.5" smoker,  cleaned up great until I dropped the mid section! Rolled right off my table! Can't wait to try it out this weekend!

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Re: New toy!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »
And it even came with a cover!

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »
Nice score Dono! What's gonna be the first cook?

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »
Congrats!  It looks to be in real good shape.

Not sure about the appeal of the WSM, but I was just going thru. WSM section of the forum today to find more about it.  My naive thinking was that I can pretty much do any smoking just as well with my Weber 22" and my Akorn

It's funny how I was looking at 1 ad.today for "Large Weber Smoker" at a real good price.  I e-mail the seller asking if it was 18.5 or 22.5". I have not heard back yet.  I am kind of hoping things don't work out as I would have to drive over 3 hrs and have way  too many kettles already anyways.  I just picked up 3 more in a week time. I need to stop! :)

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:37:20 PM »

Not sure about the appeal of the WSM, but I was just going thru. WSM section of the forum today to find more about it.  My naive thinking was that I can pretty much do any smoking just as well with my Weber 22" and my Akorn
Since I got my Akorn my WSM has gotten mighty lonely - and I used to use her frequently.  I may get in trouble for saying this but if you have an Akorn, you don't need a WSM  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 06:48:34 PM »
Nice find! That looks to be in great shape!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »

Since I got my Akorn my WSM has gotten mighty lonely - and I used to use her frequently.  I may get in trouble for saying this but if you have an Akorn, you don't need a WSM  8)

Thanks!  I won't mention it. No one will know.  I think you just save me some money.  8)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »
When I first seen it,  I thought it was something else cause the entire inside was a beige color.  Once I got it home and started cleaning it up I couldn't believe how nice it was. I was planning on buying an akorn or bge to smoke with,  but for 50 bucks I couldn't pass this up. This weekend I'll try her out.  For now I'm just running a few empty loads through her to play with Temps.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
Great deal. Beige color inside is no problem- It washes off very easily. It's the matte black creosote that you have to watch out for because it's a @%^#(&% to scrape off. I'm pretty sure you won't want an Akorn anymore once you start using it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Alright,  I have to ask,  since this is an old grill(smoker)  how politically incorrect would it be if I drilled a couple thermometer holes? I  had the full intention on doing so before I Cleaned it up since it was pretty cheap but now I worry a bit about the "collectors"  value. Do wsm's even have any?  Love to here your thoughts.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 02:49:13 AM by LightningBoldtz »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 05:54:24 AM »
I drilled a hole through the bolt that holds the grates up.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »
I drilled a hole through the bolt that holds the grates up.

I'm guessing you have access to something a little more substantial than a cordless drill! ☺ cool idea!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
Weber Smokey Mower ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:08 PM »
still a WSM  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 07:58:54 AM »
Alright,  I have to ask,  since this is an old grill(smoker)  how politically incorrect would it be if I drilled a couple thermometer holes? I  had the full intention on doing so before I Cleaned it up since it was pretty cheap but now I worry a bit about the "collectors"  value. Do wsm's even have any?  Love to here your thoughts.

I can't speak to what drilling will do to the value, but it's your smoker, customize it so that it will best fit for your needs.  I think if it was a C-code it would be more of a collector's item and you would want to be more cautious about modifying it.

All that being said, BBQ Guru sells a eyelet that fits through the screw holes.  Similar to @Hell Fire Grill but without needing to drill anything.  I have no experience with it, but it might be an option for you: https://bbqguru.com/storenav?ProductId=51
Wanted: Burgundy 18"