Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's the WKC about to you??  (Read 3525 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
What's the WKC about to you??
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
Early this spring I was contacted by a fellow forum member who knows that I'm "into" collecting the SJ line of grills.   I'm going to leave his name out of the story, because to me this hobby is not about putting someone's name in lights.  Having said that, this person sold me this grill because he knew I would enjoy it and it would fit into my collection.

Without further adieu, please meet the Brown Off-Set handle SJ:

The inside of these cookers has a neat "speckled" finish on the inside.   A nice surprise when I made the first gunk-scrape inside.

If that's not amazing enough, about a month ago, ANOTHER forum member and good local friend contacted me with an offer.  He found another off-set handle SJ and proposed a simple trade for a kettle I had.  The kettle I had was a much better "fit" in his collection, while this SJ was an absolute TREAT to add to the collection we have here.

Off-Set "Specked" Joe:

Of course the inside is 'speckled' as well...

So...   How did this happen?  It happened because of TWO forum members who put others in front of themselves.  To me, that's what the WKC is about.   It's the only way this hobby gets propelled to the NEXT level.  I picked up another (22") kettle today.   It isn't for me.  It 'belongs' with another friend, because it better fits what he collects than what I collect.  He will get it.   Because....  "That's what the WKC is about to me!"

What's the WCK about to you?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:28:53 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: What's the WKC about to you??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:18 PM »
Awesome grills and even better backstory. Thanks for sharing all that is good about the WKC!  I know I have been helped by many, and hope to help others with their kettle goals.

Winz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »
Nice pair of offset SJ you got there Saxart!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
Couldn't have said it better myself!  Great SJs!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
Just awesome! They are at home where they belong. Members helping members, is as exciting as the score... True testament of what members of WKC will do for others and great friendships that are made along the way.

Congrats!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:54:13 PM »
Just a wonderful post Art! And the offset SJ's!! my goodness those are awesome!

Everything you mentioned about the WKC rings true with many of us here I'm sure. To me, I think it all comes down to people, and this club is filled with great ones like yourself. Almost daily we see posts of new connections made via the WKC - members helping out as agents, people passing along tips about charcoal or kettle deals, leads on CL kettles, WHATEVER! In the end you more than likely not only acquired or helped to acquire a kettle, but also met a friend in another part of the city, state, country or world at the same time. So many positives come out of such a simple little thing as a charcoal kettle changing hands and I think that's part of the reason we all get hooked so bad...

Have a great night all,

Matt

W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
Is that Saxart or William freaking Shakespeare?  I can't tell.  You sir, captured the essence of what I consider the WKC to be. 

I'm new to the group and am just starting to build my collection.  Hell I don't even know what my "fit" is yet.  I still just love them all and search CL like a deer in headlights.  Less than a week after I joined a member PM'd me about a grill in my area that he thought I might be interested in because he remembered the town on my profile when I joined.  WHAT???  Then last week I put out the call for help for a grill in another state.  Within MINUTES one member had suggested another member to contact.  Which I did and that member couldn't have been more eager to help.

Incredible forum, incredible resource and even more incredible people.  Thanks again for having me and if there's ever anything I can do for any of you, consider it already done before asking.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:23:40 AM »
Nice SJs my fellow SJ collector!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 10:02:16 AM »
Nice looking pair of old timers!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
Nice SJs and to me it is being able to help others out with either technical advice or agenting a grill or accessories.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »
Love the post and equally love to see that the MN/WI contingency continues with the morals that we've always had!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
Great post Art. I love it here. Great people to share with.
A Wonderful Family!!!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
This is beyond epic!! Two offset SJ's, great story!! This is the first brown one Ive seen with the 70s style legs. Prior I had only seen Jeff's version with the triangle leg brace at the bottom. Oh and the peg leg version.