Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Minor Problem With My New Jumbo Joe and Portable Table  (Read 3286 times)

Eapples

• WKC Brave
Minor Problem With My New Jumbo Joe and Portable Table
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:59:21 PM »
Hello, Everyone:

I finally got my new Jumbo Joe, along with the portable table.

I encountered minor problems with both, and I believe that one of the problems was of my own doing.

First up, when I installed the lid damper, apparently I made the connection too tight.  When I tried maneuvering the damper, it slightly gouged the area immediately around the damper.  I have a photo to show the damage.

With the portable table, the legs of the Jumbo Joe would not fit precisely in the cutouts.  I did not include any photo.  Two of the three legs fit into the cutouts.  When I tried forcing the third leg into the cutout, one of the other legs popped out.  This went on for about ten minutes or so.  Finally, I managed to get all three legs into the cutouts, slid the locking mechanism into place, and I'm leaving it that way for now, hoping that the table will "mold" itself to the Jumbo Joe, and that the problem will go away.

Anyway, I plan on doing some dry runs, to see how much charcoal is enough, how easy/difficult it is to maintain temp, how messy it is when sweeping the ash, and to burn off any residue.

I contacted Weber customer service about the lid damper, and I was advised to try WD-40, and that with use the lid damper will mold itself to the lid and the problem should go away.  That didn't sound right; so, I sent an email to Weber's customer service a short time ago.

If my kettle brethren and brethrenettes have an opinion one way or the other, I'm always listening/reading.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Minor Problem With My New Jumbo Joe and Portable Table
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
You have to install the lid damper yourself on this grill?  Interesting.

Did they supply you a stainless steel nut and bolt for the damper?  If so, try loosing them up.  Do you have a photo of the whole vent on top?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »
You have to install the lid damper yourself on this grill?  Interesting.

Did they supply you a stainless steel nut and bolt for the damper?  If so, try loosing them up.  Do you have a photo of the whole vent on top?

When I called customer service, that was one of the suggestions.  But, at the same time they said that the lid damper is purposely snug to prevent air getting in when it's closed.  Anyway, I did slightly loosen the locking nut.

I think that what I'll do is remove the lid damper, file down the underside with my Dremel tool, maybe place a washer between the lid and the top part of the damper as a spacer, and see how that works.

I have a photo of the JJ.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
If you tighten the vent down too hard it will dig.  All of the displays I've seen have this problem.  Better stock up on grills now boys, as I feel this is the future along with the bolt on lid handles.
WTB 18 fruit

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »
Another known problem with the new JJ is that the lid bale will chip the enamel at both holes. Every display I've seen has the chipped enamel holes.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:55 AM »
Weber Customer Service responded to my email.

Weber is replacing the lid under warranty.  Regarding the problem with the table, the customer service rep suggesting checking to see how the JJ sits on a flat surface, to see whether the problem is with the JJ or with the table.  I didn't think of doing that -- I'll try that later this morning.

As to any problem with the lid bale, I didn't notice any chips around the holes.  Is that something that will develop over time?  I hope not.

Anyway, I also ordered a grill thermometer to use on the JJ.  In another forum someone suggested that the thermometer could be installed using the bolt hole that secures the lid damper.  It may not give an accurate reading; but, it will be a sufficient indicator.  I'll have to run a few tests to hone in on the temp range, varying the amounts of charcoal, damper opening, and so on.

Eapples

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
Another known problem with the new JJ is that the lid bale will chip the enamel at both holes. Every display I've seen has the chipped enamel holes.

I stand corrected.  I just noticed the minor scratches around the holes on both ends.  So, you were right.  Still, I'm figuring that since I'm kinda sorta nerdy about maintaining my equipment, wiping 'em down after each use, keeping 'em covered in the shed, and so on, and since I don't grill or barbecue every week, I should have the JJ for quite some time.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 07:02:27 AM »
I presume rust will follow after the porcelain enamel is gone just like when chips are seen around handle welds.