Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on my new (to me) Weber OTS  (Read 1385 times)

Alvin129

• Happy Cooker
First cook on my new (to me) Weber OTS
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:57:26 PM »
Today we decided to try out the grill so we cooked up a little bit of everything.

Wings, a little skirt steak, a little bit of eye round, some shrimp and salmon for my wife and son (I'm not a seafood lover), a baked potato, and a couple of peppers and onions.

We cooked it all over Stubbs charcoal with some mesquite smoker chips soaked in red wine.

It all tasted great.  I am happy with the kettle purchase and I see that it is easy to control the temperature in this unit.

I did go and drill a hole in the top to add a thermometer as I like to know what is going on in the kettle without opening the lid.  It's probably not accurate, but at least I can tell if it's gaining or losing temperature.

Tomorrow we are cooking a 5 lb. pork butt in the kettle.  I'm planning on an 8 hour cook at around 250F. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook on my new (to me) Weber OTS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:05 PM »
Great lookin' Cookup !!!!

....and the youngster's saying: "Is that ALL you GOT?"

;D ;D :D :D 8) 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »
Great looking cook. 

I use my thermo's on the top on the performers.  I have been able to reliably guesstimate what grate temperature is with what my dome temperature is.  I did this by using a thermo on the grate, and looked at the differences in temps between the grate thermo and dome thermo's during different cooks and different temps.  After a while you can do the same.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

Alvin129

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Can I use a standard oven thermometer to get the grate temperature, or would it be too hot?

Aawa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  Can I use a standard oven thermometer to get the grate temperature, or would it be too hot?

That will work fine.  It might get a little black after a few cooks though.  But you can wash it off without any issue.
* 2011 Touch and Go Performer * 2009 Touch and Go Performer * 2005 Touch and Go Performer * Sublime Smoke Ugly Drum Smoker * 2012 Mini WSM *

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »

All Day Long...........................

Most of them go to 550 or 600f, good enough for anything but very hi-heat pizzas...............

A lot of people use the Maverick or similar that has a temp probe for the grate & one for the food.....me, I'd get tangled up in the wires............................ :o

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
See also this article from a bit ago on the main page:

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/05/16/wkc-guide-to-bbq-grill-thermometers/

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Beautiful varieties of cook. Looks yummy. I see future grill master of pic number 3.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:26:54 PM by argentflame »