Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pimped my WGA  (Read 4270 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Pimped my WGA
« on: June 20, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
Had an old NIB charcoal WGA and I finally got around to doing a couple of mods that I had been trying to get to.  I put a  couple of coats of poly on the wood handles and added a Craycort cast iron grate.  I'm debating putting a weber thermometer and bezel on the lid but I think I'll probably pass.  Don't want to drill and I'm not sure how useful it would be.  I also used a bit of Pam on the top vents.  They were nearly impossible to turn and I felt like I was going to slice my hands trying.  That loosened them up nicely.

Here are some pics.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Pimped my WGA
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
Nice! I didn't realize craycort made cast iron for the GA

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Looks great...didn't realize they made CI for that grill either.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
Yup, and I found kind of last minute that Craycort had a father's day discount going for 15%.  Funny thing is you can buy the same grate from Amazon at their regular price + shipping at almost the same as the discounted price from Craycort.  They both charge the same for the grate but Amazon's shipping is cheaper than direct from Craycort.  Keep in mind, this adds considerable weight to a relatively light weight grill.  But it seemed worth it.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »

Where have you guys been! Obviously you do not respect the valuable CGA (or WGA as some call it) or you would know this. Unfortunately it is a bit spendy.

I have ManGrates in mine (a gift from Brian) but they are pretty heavy.

I have plans for something else.
kettles, smokers...

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

Where have you guys been! Obviously you do not respect the valuable CGA (or WGA as some call it) or you would know this. Unfortunately it is a bit spendy.

I have ManGrates in mine (a gift from Brian) but they are pretty heavy.

I have plans for something else.

Well that was awfully nice of Brian. The grates look like they fit perfectly in the CGA.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:26:07 AM »
I had seen your picture of the Mangrates, and they do look awesome.  I liked the fact that the Craycort was a two piece set and lays a little flatter and would make it easier to move coals around.  Both are probably over-kill for this grill, but that's what makes it fun!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
Sexy WGA's !
Very nice !

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:12:30 PM »
I remember those grate Hank, didn't you pick them up at the meetup last year?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
I remember those grate Hank, didn't you pick them up at the meetup last year?
Yes. Brian gave them to me at the meetup.

They sort of fit. They're tall and very heavy. I modified the charcoal grate to lower it to leave room for charcoal. It's so heavy that it deforms the bottom shell if I don't get it set right, keeping the lid from fitting well.
kettles, smokers...

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
I have one I need to clean up. Picked it up at a garage sale for $2. Needs new grates and a good cleaning too.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
I don't have a WGA, but I bet they make a nice little sear station, especially with those grates. Is that what they are most often used for? Steaks & the like?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
^^^ Yes sir. I picked one up cheap a while back, it is great for a steak or a couple of bratts or burgers.
You could place one of the CI grates right over your coals on your kettle and use it as a sear station...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 03:06:09 AM »
I don't have a WGA, but I bet they make a nice little sear station, especially with those grates. Is that what they are most often used for? Steaks & the like?

^^^ Yes sir. I picked one up cheap a while back, it is great for a steak or a couple of bratts or burgers.
You could place one of the CI grates right over your coals on your kettle and use it as a sear station...

Hank runs one of these like I run an 18......much more than a sear station..............

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/first-cook-on-my-new-cga/msg46134/#msg46134

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Got my hands on a Weber thermometer and bezel making a nice addition to the WGA.