Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Triangle/Tray Variations  (Read 2068 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Triangle/Tray Variations
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:09:58 PM »
Interesting that some are painted, some not, some installed lip-up, some lip-down, some with rounded corners, some with sharp. I had lunch with Brian today here in Chicago and we debated if owners sometimes installed the tray upside down like they do with the wire triangles today. Here's an old custom with a red tray - something else I have not seen before.

Then there's this old blue that makes me think - hmmm…

So where do we begin to sort this out? Craig? Jeff?

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Triangle/Tray Variations
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
That first one that's installed upside down, looks to be rusting rather than painted red. Still id give my left tong for a crazed MTH.

I agree that some owners installed these upside down at times. I have yet to see a MTH kettle installed caddywampused... MBH and later, all bets are off...

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
Plus I still think that second one (my avatar) is one that is either a VERY EARLY disc ash pan issued kettle transitioned with the old "utility shelf" or someone ordered a replacement pan for it in the late 50s - early 60s when they came available as replacement parts. I am thinking that a previous owner painted the blue triangle to match. I wish Weber still made this blue..

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 07:16:46 PM »
Too much tooling for me, but the blue one is my favorite.

Dude, relax your chicken.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42:48 AM »
That blue kettle really is one of the more amazing ones we have seen, all things considered.

Craig, there is too much red on the custom triangle for it to be rust.  I think it is red. Plus, the wheels, some what strangely, are red.  I think either it came red or there was some after market / replacement things going on.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:11:25 AM by G$ »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:15:36 AM »
Here's my 2 cents.. The Custom is well "A Custom", so who is to say that maybe Weber did a custom tray and wheels.. We probably won't know.
As for the blue, it matches well to the kettle, again, probably done by Weber. It looks like porcelain more than paint.. And the top is white, right?
We don't have enough examples to say for certain..
Best to just admire, wonder and dream!
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »
...admire, wonder and dream!

8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »

That blue kettle rally is one of the more amazing ones we have seen, all things considered.

Craig, there is too much red on the custom triangle for it to be rust.  I think it is red. Plus, the wheels, some what strangely, are red.  I think either it came red or there was some after market / replacement things going on.

G$, red wheels were stock in the 1950s along with white. Either one color came first then the other or they were luck of the draw (whatever color came in the box?). At the end of the day, painted or not, that's a grail of a kettle.