Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hooking my performer up to a big propane tank?  (Read 4835 times)

bwb

• Smokey Joe
Hooking my performer up to a big propane tank?
« on: May 29, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
Was at home depot today and saw this...

Could I use that to hook my performer up to a regular propane tank?
09 Green Performer, 04 Silver Genesis A...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hooking my performer up to a big propane tank?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:18:03 PM »
yes, that is the only way to do it.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:54:24 AM »
No, you can do it differently. Which performer do you have? if its the newer one with the small fitting, this is the easiest and most cost effective way. If its an older Performer, there are other options. Show us what you are working on.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Thunder71

• WKC Brave
    • Civil Response Firearms Training
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 07:01:12 AM »
For what it's worth, I originally bought some other (cheaper) brand of adapter and it works fine for other things, but not my Performer. The Weber adapter seems to work much better.

I really need to stick to the motto 'Buy once, cry once'.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to try that eventually.  When I was on the phone with Weber customer service after I got my performer, they'd told me that the hose wouldn't work.  Between the Weber propane firepit and the gas grill, it seems like I always have a big bottle around.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 07:09:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to try that eventually.  When I was on the phone with Weber customer service after I got my performer, they'd told me that the hose wouldn't work.  Between the Weber propane firepit and the gas grill, it seems like I always have a big bottle around.
There have been some troubles reported with the Q grills when converting over to a large tank.
Maybe Weber has gotten gun-shy from that experience.
The problems were the Weber regulator, the length of hose (shorter = better) and the particular OPD valve involved.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »
There have been some troubles reported with the Q grills when converting over to a large tank.
Maybe Weber has gotten gun-shy from that experience.
The problems were the Weber regulator, the length of hose (shorter = better) and the particular OPD valve involved.

This is correct. On some combinations you will have to "prime" the regulator for a bit to let the pressures settle out. When the small regulator sees a big pressure surge from a 20lb tank, it "locks" out for a little bit. Hope that makes sense.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:12:54 AM »
First Rule of Weber - no modification!

Second Rule of Weber - if a customer asks about a modification, tell them it won't work!

I think the legal department now writes their rules. They used to sell kits to convert gassers between natural gas and propane and no longer do.

One problem with the Q-hose is that the entire hose is at tank pressure and the OPD safety devices seem to be tuned for a system with a regulator attached closer to the tank. To avoid tripping the OPD, it is necessary to open the tank valve slowly (with all other valves closed) and allow pressure to equalize in the line gradually.
kettles, smokers...

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
Thread revival... sorry, guys.

The photo of the hose is missing from the original post (thanks, photobucket). I'm wondering if the adapter hose connecting a larger tank to the Performer needs a regulator. I expect a non-regulated hose would work, allowing the regulator built into the grill to maintain the flow to the burner. I also understand the need to open the valve slowly to prevent tripping the grill's regulator. I imagine that a hose with a higher output regulator would probably work, but the additional regulator shouldn't be necessary or beneficial if I'm understanding this correctly.

This is the specific hose I plan to order: https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Adapter-20lb-Converter-Certified/dp/B073KV4WLJ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1522260135&sr=8-8&keywords=propane+adapter+hose

To attach one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MANCHESTER-TANK-EQUIP-Propane-Tank-11-Lb/109355299

To my 3rd Gen Performer.

Thanks guys!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
Get this one instead. I bought 5 of them. You don't need a regulator as the the hose will be connected to your existing regulator.

ADAPTER HOSE LP 4FT by BAYOU CLASSIC MfrPartNo MCRI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M26G432?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
Get this one instead. I bought 5 of them. You don't need a regulator as the the hose will be connected to your existing regulator.

ADAPTER HOSE LP 4FT by BAYOU CLASSIC MfrPartNo MCRI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M26G432?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Thank you, will do!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 12:54:29 PM »
If you have a smaller tank  such as a 5-10lb would be even better for portability purposes. Got tired of refilling the 1lb tanks so i just got an adapter for my performers. It only takes about 8 seconds to attach it and maybe less than 5 seconds to disconnect.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »

... To attach one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/MANCHESTER-TANK-EQUIP-Propane-Tank-11-Lb/109355299

You have a 3rd Gen but do you happen to know if the 11lb "shorty" tank at your link has a flat side on the collar opposite the outlet, as the original 5LB Manchesters do?

Asking for an SSP owner.

Edit: Nevermind. I can see that it's "fat" (like a 20LB) and wouldn't hang from the stock 5LB mount.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:31:04 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:34:54 PM »

Thanks. Been meaning to ask you about that braided hose in some of your pix.

But I thought I saw that on an SSP? Such a hose would require a 2nd-4th Gen regulator hose assembly, yeah? (Not a drawback necessarily, as the burner hose assembly for the SSP is now stupid expensive if needing replacement.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Hooking my performer up to a big propane tank?
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:22:21 PM »

I converted all my ssp to 1 lb tank but ended up using the hose adapter.  For me it's more practical to just  have  an adapter  on each performer and  drag around a 5 lb  tank when  needed.