Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sloppy Joes?  (Read 2447 times)

KsDan

• Smokey Joe
Sloppy Joes?
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
I wanted sloppy joes tonight, but I also wanted to grill. I ended up getting both.

This is my basic recipe plus pico de gallo that was on sale and looked good.

I was afraid of having too much heat, so I only used about half a chimney full of stubbs briquettes.

Overall, we were very happy with the result. Very satisfying to use the grill to cook "inside food".

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the eye roll my girlfriend gave when she got home and saw me making sloppy joes on the grill.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Sloppy Joes?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Looks good, always nice to do some "inside" cooking on the grill outside.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 06:07:25 PM »
I did a batch of joe for the Mid Atlantic Meetup: ground buffalo, chorizo, roasted anaheim and red peppers, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and a few other things. I'll try to find the actual recipe. It was really good.

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »
Both dishes looks fantastic.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 03:17:24 AM »
Marty I need that recipe...looks so good!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

teerhardy

• WKC Brave
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »
I did a batch of joe for the Mid Atlantic Meetup: ground buffalo, chorizo, roasted anaheim and red peppers, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and a few other things. I'll try to find the actual recipe. It was really good.

I'd love to get my hands on that recipe Marty!
Grey 22.5" OTS H
Copper 22.5" OTG... that's right I turned copper into gold.
Black 22.5" SS Performer

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:29 AM »
Here's what I did:

Buffalo/Chorizo Sloppy Joe

1 lb ground buffalo
1 lb Mexican Chorizo sausage
2 Anaheim peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz can tomato paste
2 cups water
1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp turbinado (raw) sugar

Char the peppers over a hot grill, burner, or broiler a few minutes a side. Remove when charred and blistered, resting in a zip lock bag for 5 minutes. Peel the charred skin, slice open and de-seed the peppers. Dice.

Preheat a dutch oven over medium heat on the grill. Brown the ground buffalo and chorizo, then remove and drain.

Add the onions to the dutch oven with 1 Tbsp of the reserved meat drippings and saute for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.

Return the meat mixture to the dutch oven. Add the roasted chili peppers. Mix the water, tomato paste, pepper, cumin, and sugar together and then add to the dutch oven. Once this comes to a simmer, cover and kill the grill heat (shut the vents or gas).

After 5 minutes, stir, season with salt and pepper to taste and remove to rest (covered) for another 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 04:28:51 AM by MartyG »