Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1992 Weber One Touch, small restauration, German guy needs some help !  (Read 7177 times)

mcflash

• Smokey Joe
Hello everybody,

my name is Sebastian and I´m from Southern Germany.

Since 2011 I own a Weber Spirit S 320 Gas Grill and I really love it!!!

Last week I had the chance to buy a red 1992 Weber Master Touch kettle (I think in the USA this is the One Touch Gold Model).
When I saw the first pics I felt in love and I knew that I need to have it !!
So I went to Zurich (Switzerland) and bought this wonderful Red Beauty for 70€ (about 95$).

Here are some pics of it:

The kettle was not used for the last 9 years. The pre-owner already cleaned it very well but there are still some things to do on the outside.

The triangle and the top vent are a bit rusty.

Also the legs and the ash bin (what is the correct word for that?  ???) are not shiny, they are matte (non-glossy) and the surface feels very rough.

I hope you understand my english  ;D

For sure the rest of the kettle is in pretty good shape and this is nothing that disturbs the grilling result but in this case I am a bit perfectionist.
But I don´t want to destroy anything or get even more rust after excessive cleaning.

Do you have any ideas for me how I could polish all that stuff without harming the rest (the emaille of bowl and lid is perfect and I don´t want to risk anything).

I´ve found some threads here about cleaning and removing rust but there always products used I wouldn´t get in Germany !!!
So maybe there is something easier I could do.

Thanks very much and have a nice weekend,

Sebastian

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:25:22 AM by mcflash »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Try some #0000 steel wool on the top vent, maybe on the legs and triangle too.

Know that the ash can is inherently non-shiny (it's like brushed aluminum I think) and so, you'd be creating something new by polishing that smooth.

That's a great-looking MasterTouch. I'd love to have a red '92 just like it to match my red '92 Performer.

By the way, One Touch Golds here don't have the lid bale or charcoal holders. And until very recently didn't come with any kind of lid thermometer. Your original wire baskets rusted away and were replaced by the previous owner with the newer, aluminized steel ones.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
Welcome.......Thats a great looking kettle
As mentioned above, steel wool works great for getting things cleaned up.  It takes time and effort, but I've never been disappointed with the results.
-Keith

mcflash

• Smokey Joe
Thanks already for the answers and I'm happy that you like my new little baby. I just called our local hardware store and the finest steel wool they have is 000. I think I will get that this weekend and try this out. I will keep you up to date with pics.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Welcome!  That's a master touch here in the states too. Very nice find. Its beautiful!  ;)

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
mcflash,
 Welcome to the WKC group. That is a very nice 1992 red head enjoy and buy a cover.

Dan
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

mcflash

• Smokey Joe
@ Cuda Dan
With the kettle I got the original Weber cover from 1992.

I already bought the steel wool. We'll see how it works.

GOMRDS

• Smokey Joe
To clarify, can 0000 steel wool be used to clean the bowl (int and ext)? I just saw vents/metal explicitly mentioned.

Thanks.
Char Q
18.5" Copper Samuel Adams
Red SS Performer code EO

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
To clarify, can 0000 steel wool be used to clean the bowl (int and ext)? I just saw vents/metal explicitly mentioned.

Thanks.

Steel wool won't hurt the surface, is my understanding. But I would expect the steel wool to get gunked up quickly. But I rarely have lookers, just cookers, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

The steel wool used on the aluminum bits acts as a polisher for them. Grease and ash crud in the bowl needs something else. But a little steel wool on the outside to get small, baked-on grime might work. Several threads here about grill cleaning.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Welcome Sebastian.

Nice kettle!

"but in this case I am a bit perfectionist"

That sounds like the first stage of weberitis - denial
The next stage is admitting that you have weberitis   8)

To add to what the others have mentioned, don't be afraid, you won't hurt the kettle. Unless you're using a hammer and chisel, the kettle will be fine.

It looks real clean already, and I'm sure you won't let it stay that way because you'll be using it.

The steel wool will work wonders. For heaver spots you run into, a razor blade scraper works great too, and won't harm the porcelain.

Have fun and enjoy.

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Thanks already for the answers and I'm happy that you like my new little baby. I just called our local hardware store and the finest steel wool they have is 000. I think I will get that this weekend and try this out. I will keep you up to date with pics.

You can also use a little bit of mild liquid dishwashing soap with your steel wool to add to the cleaning & help lubricate the scrubbing, then wipe clean with a damp cloth.......I have messy cookers, but still do know a bit about cleaning !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Try some #0000 steel wool on the top vent, maybe on the legs and triangle too.

Know that the ash can is inherently non-shiny (it's like brushed aluminum I think) and so, you'd be creating something new by polishing that smooth.

That's a great-looking MasterTouch. I'd love to have a red '92 just like it to match my red '92 Performer.

By the way, One Touch Golds here don't have the lid bale or charcoal holders. And until very recently didn't come with any kind of lid thermometer. Your original wire baskets rusted away and were replaced by the previous owner with the newer, aluminized steel ones.

Those baskets are original.. Look closely, they are not the aluminized steel ones of today..
Round holes vs oblong.. Don;t polish that top vent, just clean it slightly with soap and water,its perfect! SOS or steel wool will scratch it up a bit. Use a mild polish on it  Nice grill, thanbks for sharing.
  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Golly

• WKC Performer
i have those baskets in my K code brownie
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

mcflash

• Smokey Joe
Hey guys,

I didn't have much time last weekend, so cleaning needs to wait ... But I already tried the steel wool at one leg and it seems to work - but it seems to be a lot of work :(

But I fired up the kettle for the first time, and it was a lot of fun!!! I like the red color going darker when the grill gets warmer. This looks really great.

One question about the thing with Master Touch and One Touch.
On the US Weber website I find no Master Touch, only the One Touch in different sizes.
So I thought you only have the One Touch, not a Master Touch.

Because in Germany we have One Touch and Master Touch, and if you take a look at the German website you find a interesting difference.
At all Master Touch we have the new GBS grate. Is it really possible that you don´t have these grills in the 2014 assortment?

Have a nice day,

Sebastian

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
I like perfectionists. To get your porcelain clean you can use soap, sponge, and razor. Here's a before and after of a ~40 year old kettle. With practice this only takes a few minutes.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791