Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle stalking!  (Read 3236 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Kettle stalking!
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:22:07 PM »
So I had just finished cleaning up my lime and doing the first cook on it and I thought to myself well that is my score for the summer and what a great score it is. So next day I am driving home my normal route I drivr on that day and I get held up on a side street I take and I spot a red kettle. I circle back around to make sure I wasn't seeing thinga as I had never spotted it there before, sure as heck it is a red kettle. It is on a fenced of lot next to a trailer house (jcnaz had scored my lime at a trailer housen I believe). I tell myself I will stop next week when I take that route home and inquire about the kettle.

Next day at work I am conversing with jcnaz through texts and he is talking of going kettle hunting so I mention the red to him. Then it has me thinking I want to go get it but cold calling on a kettle can be difficult when the whole property is fenced off with 8 foot chain link.  So whats next I want to know more about the kettle before I proceed. Now the true stalking begins while on break at work and during lunch. CYBER STALKING A KETTLE !!!

So I get on google maps to get the exact address which then turns into looking at the place with google satellite so that turns into google earth cause I think I see it and want to zoom in more on it. So I do see it or what I am pretty sure is it. Then this leads me to street view and I do see it. Pics of images.... follow.

Do you see it?!?

So this had me amped up to go get it. So after work I head that direction and stop and the place and the gate is open so I go to the door and knock. An elder woman comes to the door but will not open it and talks to me through a window. I explain to her I am interested in the grill and she is perplexed by this but with more explaining she gets it and says well take the grill. I offer money and she says no thanks. So I grab the grill and head out. FREE SCORE YES FEELS SO GOOD.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle stalking!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
Pics of it after it got home.

More pics to come.

Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

coldkettle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
Very nice score! 

I love the smell of a evening cook...

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:32:02 PM »
Nice pickup.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
Holysmokes that looks awesome!
That will clean right up.
I cold called on a red head OTS once and got shut down.:'(
A year later and it still hasn't moved, guess it's time to try again! ;D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
Dayuum Mikey!!! That's a great looking red
I love all the research you put into it....just goes to show there's no harm in asking!!!
Judging by the lawn it must be pretty dry out Arizona way this summer
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
Well fuck me...That's a nice grill.
If it breathes, we can cook it!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:24 AM »
Here are the clean up pics.

So there it is all cleaned up. It isn't in the best of shape but it is nice and another mbh added to the family. It took a good day off to clean it up. I still need to work on the stock wheels I am thinking of trying to put new tread on them .

Here it is joining the rest of the family.

It is great now I have 2 kettles from the 70's and they look great together. It is awesome to cook on this red head and lime at the same time. Now I just need to narrow down the years on these kettles.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:28:49 AM »
Heck of a tale Mikey!

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:06 AM »
Nice job on the cold call then to close the deal. It looks good with the rest of the family.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24:34 AM »
Nice score and what a story!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:41:31 AM »
Totally Awesome! Worst that can happen is the answer "no".
Great looking piece.

We almost need a sub-thread to post to, locate great stories like this easier. " Great Kettle Scores"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:56:39 AM »
YES!! Awesome story and snag Mikey! Thats a real nice looking red.

Kettle hunting tactics to a large leap forward today... Digital recon  ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again

" mobile home parks are hotbeds for kettles" :)

Great story and get !

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »
Great score and story!  I hope to get a redhead one day!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!