Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Must have accessories  (Read 6492 times)

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
Must have accessories
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
I'm interested to know what some of you more experienced guys think are must have starter accessories. Right now I'm looking at the lid holder and the charcoal baskets. Any ideal cleaning items you can think of? Preferred brush, etc?

Thanks

AJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Must have accessories
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:56 PM »
AJ, here is my list. Hope it helps.

Weber starter cubes
Weber Chimney
Heat resistant gloves- preferably ones that cover forearms like welding gloves
lighter/matches
Meat thermometer- Thermapen is the gold standard but others are available
Kettle thermometer- WKC Thermometer Guide
Timer- I like my  Thermoworks Timestick but any timer will do.
Charcoal Baskets- I like the old style Weber wire baskets but others like the stamped aluminum.
Disposable drip pans- I buy the costco packs for $8 for 20 if my memory serves me right
Reynolds heavy duty aluminum foil- I really like the heavy weight and width
Grill brush- Whatever works for you, but don't get a steel bristled one. They will mark the chrome grates and make them prone to rusting.
Long tongs and spatula- I really like the ones you get at a restaurant supply store. Good size, not overdesigned, and cost effective.
Knife
Camera for taking pics.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:57:09 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »
There are a ton of great toys things to get, AJ, but in my mind the two most important are a good set of long tongs and a fast meat thermometer.  I like the Oxo Goodgrips tongs, and the Thermopen.  Those two tools will yield the greatest benefits in your cooking and enjoyment of grilling.
One of the charcoal people.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:45:50 PM »
Definitely a chimney starter
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
Oh and a dredge. It makes applying rub so much easier and efficient.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
What about the beer? Can't forget that!
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

AJ328

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 02:40:38 AM »

Weber starter cubes
Weber Chimney
lighter/matches
Charcoal Baskets- I like the old style Weber wire baskets but others like the stamped aluminum.
Disposable drip pans- I buy the costco packs for $8 for 20 if my memory serves me right
Grill brush- Whatever works for you, but don't get a steel bristled one. They will mark the chrome grates and make them prone to rusting.
Long tongs and spatula- I really like the ones you get at a restaurant supply store. Good size, not overdesigned, and cost effective.
Knife
Camera for taking pics.

Great list, are the drip pans from costco specifically for drippings, or just foil pans? I've been using disposable baking pans for larger cuts of meat and the weber ones from lowes for smaller stuff.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
Oh and a dredge. It makes applying rub so much easier and efficient.

I had to look it up, it's a "shaker cup", right? http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/dr-pc/p8284.aspx

I have essentially the same thing as that link but with glass jar/metal top with holes, "sealed up" when not in use with plastic wrap/rubber band on top.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 04:12:58 AM »
... I like the Oxo Goodgrips tongs ...

Seen those mentioned before. The wee small hanging holes on the end won't work for all grills. Some of us need a leather loop or other larger deal for hanging. Just be aware, new grill owners, of whatcha gonna use it with at home.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 05:25:22 AM »
Great list, are the drip pans from costco specifically for drippings, or just foil pans? I've been using disposable baking pans for larger cuts of meat and the weber ones from lowes for smaller stuff.

I'm not sure which pans he talking about specifically, but I'm sure they are just aluminum pans. I often just make my own drip pan out of a double layer of foil with the sides and ends folded up and pinched in the corners. Then you can just pour off the drippings, ball it up and throw it away.

Gummi's list is a great one too, BTW! Get some of those heavy duty gloves too. Pouring out hot charcoal can get a little dicey sometimes.

For a timer, I just use my iPhone. When I grilling low and slow I'm usually using my iGrill linked to my iPhone anyways.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 05:56:38 AM »

Weber starter cubes
Weber Chimney
lighter/matches
Knife
Camera for taking pics.

They are just foil pans. I like to get them from costco because of price but any foil pan will do.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »
What about the beer? Can't forget that!
And an ice chest. Much better than having to walk back in the house a dozen or so times. Keeps it colder than the refrigerator too!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC