Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Royal Oak Failed Me: Part 2  (Read 1674 times)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Royal Oak Failed Me: Part 2
« on: May 01, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
After much discussion and great input from many WKC members stemming from the original thread below...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/royal-oak-failed-me/msg99124/#msg99124

I wanted to give Royal Oak another try since I still have almost 3 full bags of 18# RO left.  Strategy wise, I used G's suggestion as noted below...
Been using a lot of lump lately.  I like to place a thin layer of briqs on the bottom of the chimney followed by lump to the top.  The briqs help to prevent the smaller pieces from falling through and also seems to light the stack better.  After placing on the charcoal grate, Ill add a bit more lump if needed and give it some air to get it rippin' hot.

I put a layer of Stubb's briquettes on the bottom of my chimney and then filled it to rim with RO.  I used a Weber starter cube and let the chimney go for about 12 minutes until half of the chimney was lit.  Then I poured the chimney into the charcoal baskets, placed my gourmet sear insert into the kettle, and closed the lid.  In no time the temperature gauge on the MT lid handle soared past the 550 mark.  Adding that layer of Stubb's to the bottom of the chimney provided just enough fuel to get the kettle searing hot this time.  The results were awesome!  I am a fan of both Stubb's and RO now for high heat cooking.  Thanks to Everyone for their input in that original thread, specifically G's briquet layering and Gummi's suggestion to use more fuel.

Check out the crust on these bacon wrapped filets.  Crappy iPhone pics don't show it well, but the filet was perfect to my liking...medium rare/well.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:08:05 PM by crumbsnatcher »

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
Re: Royal Oak Failed Me: Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
Those look good,
yea, I gotta stain my deck too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »

Those look good,
yea, I gotta stain my deck too.

Yes, I'm going to stain my deck too, if it ever stops raining. Surprisingly it remained dry during my cook today then started raining afterwards. LOL

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »
Nice looking steak on a beautiful cooker! 
WTB 18 fruit

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:44:02 AM »
Daaang looks like you nailed it! Looks great! What's up with the wheel on your gasser?? Haha!

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
Oh I see, it's just the lock on the wheel sticking out...it looked like it was all bent up...

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 08:19:45 AM »

Oh I see, it's just the lock on the wheel sticking out...it looked like it was all bent up...

Yep, that was it. Nowadays, the Spirit EP320 is relegated to quick burger cooks or when I don't have time to light a chimney.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »
I'm glad you found something that works for you, Crumb! Your steaks looks like they were cooked by a pro. :)

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »
Tou - what is the vent code on that beautiful M/T?
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »

Tou - what is the vent code on that beautiful M/T?

Jeff....it's an EI vent code. See more pictures here => Finally Acquired My First Red MT http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=9500

BigRix

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
Well I have to say as I work with Royal Oak I'm learning how to not let it fail me.

Used the layer of briquets on the bottom and the rest was RO.

My gas assist now works so I just lit it in place.

When it got rolling it made for the best burgers yet.

Shut down the vents after and I still have a bunch of fuel left. Ready for the next cook.

Could have used one of those blowers to speed things up though.
Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com