Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rules of etiquette for cold calling on a grill?  (Read 1894 times)

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
Rules of etiquette for cold calling on a grill?
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
Are there rules as to when it's ok to cold call on a grill and when it's not ok to? Here is the situation that prompts me to ask:

I saw a red 18.5 MBH on my way to work sitting next to a camper that was for sale.  The grill appeared not to have been used in quite a while, so I stopped and asked if they wanted to sell it, unfortunatly they did not.  Since then I have spotted another red kettle.  I can't tell exactly what it is but I can clearly see that it is a grill that they use.

Is it ok to cold call on a grill that is clearly being used by the owner, or should this only be done when a grill appears to be unwanted?

My wife thinks that I'm nuts for even considering stopping in to ask if they would part with it.  What are everyone else's thoughts?

Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rules of etiquette for cold calling on a grill?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
Just be friendly.  No harm in striking up a conversation and asking if they want to sell.  Might be worth trying to get them to trade for a "newer" model.  AKA a Black OTS you got for cheap on CL. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:13:04 PM by MaxBobcat »

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
Personally, I'm not one to scope out people's yard to see what Weber grills they have so I can go ask them if they are selling or interested in selling.  That's a little creepy and weird. I wouldn't want someone scoping out my yard so they can see what grills I have either. Just my $.02. Whatever I can score on CL or through the classifieds here on WKC is good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
It's one thing if you're peeking over their fence, but if there's a grill in the front yard or similarly easy to spot from off the property, it's not so bad. But the most important thing is probably your approach and explaining your interest so you don't sound suspicious. It's just not "normal" to buy something from someone's yard when there isn't a yard sale. Almost nobody considers BBQs a collector's item, so most will think it's weird of you to ask... Until you explain that you restore them and are looking for that particular model, etc.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Dan NY

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 04:50:28 PM »
I agree. This grill is clearly visible driving by at 55 but it is obviously being used by its owner. I don't think I will just stop in and ask about it. If they are ever having a yard sale I'll stop in and maybe inquire.  Otherwise I think they would be a little freaked out if I just stopped in and asked if I could buy it.  :o  thanks for the sensible input.
Grail: THE AMBASSADOR

toddmog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
There's an 18.5 WSM right around the corner from me.  It's sitting right in front of their garage door.  I know they use it though since I've seen it covered and uncovered.  This weekend is our city wide garage sale...maybe that would be a perfect time for a cold call.  8)
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
 If I see a grill I am interested in I hit it up. I'm not going to take a chance on not asking and them selling it at a garage sale for a ten spot. I have several around the Bay Area I check back on every now and then when I am in the area. Sometimes I even make friends with the people and talk bbq. I know if they decide to part with them I will get the first offer. People can be weird, some of them want to keep it just because someone wants it and then they will practically give it away down the road.

idahome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:24:41 PM »
My neighbor that lives behind me has a Glen Blue Imperial (the only vintage kettle I have ever visibly seen in my city besides my kettles) that he always left outside by the carport. I went over and asked him if he would ever consider selling it. I never told him any background story or anything because I was new to the vintage kettle hunting. Let's just say that I haven't seen the Glen Blue since. I think it freaked him out and he had the notion I was going to steal it. I am pretty sure he put it in the side storage under the carport and will probably only pull it out when they want to have a BBQ. It's kind of upsetting because I wanted to talk with him more about it, but the way I initially approached the situation freaked him out. Now that I look back, I realize I could have approached it in a better way. Just my two cents.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
I'm not an expert cold-caller by any means, but I did once buy a red JJ out of the back of a pickup truck in the grocery store parking lot.  It was a little weird, but I just smiled and said 'hello' and then complimented them on the grill.  I didn't tell them how rare it was or anything, but just said I liked red Webers and they had a great specimen.  Within a couple of minutes the guy was trying to sell it to me.  I offered him 20 and he countered with much more and we settled on 45.  Both of us very happy with the transaction. 

All to say, don't be in any huge hurry to close the deal.  Try expressing some interest/admiration, and you might be surprised at what comes your way.  Or like Duke said, they might not want to sell it right then, but would sell it to you later.  Try to come alongside them as a fellow Weber fan, and if they're not actually a Weber fan, they might be interested in making a deal. Either way, you've hopefully made a friend. 

Oh, and if they are a fan, tell them about WKC!  I mentioned it to this dude who sold me my red SS, and he ended up becoming PeasPurple!  Lol.
One of the charcoal people.