Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash Catcher or not??  (Read 5558 times)

Philx1979

• Smokey Joe
Ash Catcher or not??
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:14 AM »
Hi i`m new to this, i am hoping to pick up my first weber 57cm weber grill tomorrow, trouble is i cant decide whether to go for the one touch or one touch premium the only difference i can see between them is maily the ash catcher.

What i cant figure out is if i had the version with no ash catcher will the ash spill out from the bottom of the kettle during cooking?? Also is the ash catcher also being used for a lower vent??

If this is the case then i think i would prefer to have an ash catcher to prevent ashes blowing around on a windy day.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ash Catcher or not??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:01 AM »
I believe you are talking about the difference between the ash pan and the ash plate.  This all comes down to money, I have used both and by far I prefer the version with the pan as is does a great job of preventing hot ash from blowing all over.  Both versions have blades that sweep the ash out and are also used for air flow, the one with the ash pan is easier as you can actually make off where it is closed, half way and open all the way.  You have to kind of guess with the one with the plate.

One-touch silver with plate

One-touch gold with the pan

This is what we call them in the states, I assume since you referred to it as a 57 cm you would be out of the states.

Again, my recommendation is if you have the extra money, get the Gold or the one with the ash pan.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:01:57 AM »
another benefit to the upgraded version is the hinged cooking grates which allow you to add coal and wood easily during the cooking process of longer cooks.  At least that is the way they are sold in the states.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:03:39 AM »
 Howdy Philx & welcome here !!!!!

Like Mr. L. Boltz said, the sweeps are the same, but the enclosure is very helpful for containing the ash...............another difference, I believe, is the upgraded model comes with flip-ups on the sides of the cooking grate as standard, while the 'Silver' model does not...... 

helpful for adding coals or wood while cooking ~~~>

Beat me to it Boltz!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:14:41 AM »
In the states they sell the Silver for $99 and the Gold for $150, when I purchased my first Kettle, before craigslist I felt the Gold version was worth the extra money.

sorry Buckie, didn't mean to be an answer hog..... ;D 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:17:24 AM by LightningBoldtz »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:05:19 AM »
... i think i would prefer to have an ash catcher to prevent ashes blowing around on a windy day.

Yes, wind protection is good but there's another benefit. Having the pan is what allows me to use a charcoal grill on my composite deck, which is the ONLY horizontal surface I have behind my house.

When it was a wood deck, the occasional spark or hot charcoal piece wouldn't do much to the surface, but each and every one of those that escaped out of the bottom vent ruined a new composite deck board because the boards have a plasticized coating over the composite main---I think this type of deck board is referred to as "capped" as in, there's a protective cap on the board surface designed to help retain color longer and protect bare feet against heat.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »
Ash spilling out should not be your primary concern....live coals probably are.

The probability of a live coal getting out the bottom of a One Touch Siler is higher because of the ash plate.  Do not think though that a stray live coal cannot get out the bottom of a One Touch Gold - it can happen and I was there to see it once.  Used my 2 Golds now very extensively for a little over a year and I saw a coal come popping out one of those little holes on the ash pan mount just under the bowl.  I had been using the grill on the wood deck and front porch...that coal landed a foot and a half away from the Kettle.  Lucky I was there.  While I still use the deck and front porch when it rains, the cookers are not left for very long when I do so. 

All that being said the One Touch Gold is the way to go.  You will love a Kettle....I love three myself.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:56:23 AM »
Its funny because once upon a time I preferred gold cans, flip up grates and sweepers. I have gravitated more the other way especially on the grates.  I prefer daisy wheels for better temp control and I usually only open 1-2 which reduces ash blowing out. Now full disclosure, having recently come into a Happy Cooker internal pan has settled thr internal argument ive been having with myself.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
Oh and yes. I am adamant that a deck means OTG. Unless you keep a silver or a daisy wheeler down below on concrete.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Philx1979

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
Thank you guys, gonna go for a premium with ash catcher, a gold version as the US call them. Can't wait to get stuck in and learn

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
Phil, do they sell the Master-Touch where you are from?

Philx1979

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:34 PM »
Yes the Mastertouch is now available for 2014, seen it in stock at my local Weber Dealer.

Picked up my (Gold) Weber One Touch Premium a few days ago aswell, not got round to using it yet. lol