Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dirty Legs!  (Read 1017 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Dirty Legs!
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
Please share your leg cleaning methods. I have a few set's I want to clean and am wondering what the best ways are. I'm a little tired of the steel wool alone. I was thinking some kind of rubbing compound might help?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/4432841175.html

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Dirty Legs!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
When I want that mirror like shine, I use a metal polish like Flitz or Mothers aluminum mag polish.  If its got bad build up on the legs...I've used  000 steel wool first, then follow it up with a polish using a cotton cloth.  Lastly, go over it with a clean cloth to remove the haze. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
Thanks, I recall someone talking about Mothers. I like the old legs way better and want to preserve them. I'll try and find some the next time I'm at the auto parts store.

idahome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 01:55:07 PM »
Mothers definitely works quite well! I've used it many of times to polish the chrome on the '66 VW so I'm sure it'll do just as well cleaning up grill legs.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Mothers polish works better if the legs are closer to clean when you do the polishing.

You can buy aluminum cleaner for the step before polishing.  I have used Drano.

AZ Mikey is an expert here.

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
I soak mine in a very weak vinegar and dishwashing solution and then rub them with 00 steelies if they have a major buildup of crud.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!