Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2013/2014 Performer Platinum Question  (Read 3741 times)

jwc

• Smokey Joe
2013/2014 Performer Platinum Question
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
Hi Guys/Gals

I have been reading through the posts on the site and I'm really enjoying all of the information. I had a black weber gold kettle 10 years ago that I gave to my mother in law when I converted to a weber genesis gas grill. I am ready to move back to charcol and have my eye on a copper performer platinum. I want to use my 20lb LP tanks that I have with the performer. Does anyone have pictures with this setup?  Based on what I have seen it looks like the 20lb tank is going to have to sit outside of the cart.

Welcome any ideas or insight you have. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2013/2014 Performer Platinum Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
I think it could sit on the bottom shelf so long as you secured it when rolling around, especially if you don't use the CharBin (charcoal container).

Either way, you'll need to adapt the fitting since it's made for a 1lb tank. Remember -- you're not cooking with it, so you don't need a lot of gas. And I think if you use the gas to get a chimney going you'll use even less gas.

Welcome to the WKC.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jwc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
You are correct. If I move the bin it will fit. My wife was prompting me to mod it to use my gas tanks. I realize 20lb will probably last me two seasons or more since I will only use the gas to start the coals. Wasn't crazy about the tank sitting outside of the cart but I may have to live with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »
You could also use your large tank to refill the small tanks it's designed to use. Amazon sells several of these adapters designed to facilitate the process. That's what I've decided to do so I don't have to give up my shelf space on the Performer Platinum.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 01:07:47 PM »
I think you can use the weber q 20lb adapter hose as an off the shelf option
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
I think you can use the weber q 20lb adapter hose as an off the shelf option
Yep, there is a generic hose that several manufacturers make that adapts from the 16 oz cylinder threads to the OPD valve that the bigger tanks have.
I have a Kenmore tabletop gasser and use one for it.

For a Performer the 5 gallon (20 lb) tank is overkill.
I would look for a still-certified, used 1 gallon or 2-1/2 gallon tank on CL.
I wouldn't try to buy those small sizes new...way over-priced.

I bought a "Schnozzle" and am going to try re-filling the little green tanks this summer.
I can't recommend that until I try it myself...some can't get it to work.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
If you have one, just use the 20lb takns.. Way cheaper!  The adapter hiose is $20 to $25. Alwasy close your tanks after use.. i don't trust those cheap regulators on the newer performers.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
I'm using a 20LB tank, it doesn't fit unless you remove the charcoal bin. For now I keep the tank under the left side of my gas grill.
I'm still trying to figure something out.
If I had a propane grill I'd probably do a split off of the grill's tank but I have a natural gas grill.
I'm hoping this forum will figure something out.

One other thing I think is missing is a hanging spot for the cooking grate. On a Gold/Silver you can hang the grate on the opposite side of the lid. But there doesn't seem to be a spot for this on the Platinum.

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Also using the chimney as well as the propane starter saves even more gas. I let the starter go for about 5 minutes with a chimney, compared to 15 without.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:26:40 PM »
I'm not an expert on this, but could you convert the Performer to run on Natural gas?
I believe the only difference is the size of the orifice that the gas flows through?
Maybe set it up with a quick disconnect.. Definitely a shut off valve.
Just a thought.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

jwc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:50:10 AM »
I had quite a few 1lb bottles for camping. I am plan on using one of those first to see how long I can make it last before I invest in the hose for the 20lb tank.

Sent from the back deck...

The_Doughboy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
I'm not an expert on this, but could you convert the Performer to run on Natural gas?
I believe the only difference is the size of the orifice that the gas flows through?
Maybe set it up with a quick disconnect.. Definitely a shut off valve.
Just a thought.. 8)

That would be a good mod there Heyjude. Usually the only difference is the size of the nipple. With NG you need to drill out the hole to 3/8 on the connector nipple.