Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A new poll-more pertinent (I think) to this site's soul  (Read 5045 times)

With a K

• WKC Brave
A new poll-more pertinent (I think) to this site's soul
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »
Nothing against the poll starter "How many do you have". Really! But I see more and more possessive topics & behavior here. Kinda runs counter to what I feel this place is about. So I decided this would be more appropriate. I don't know how to set up the poll thingy, so just chime in with a response, if you wish.

Catch & Release Poll

How many Weber grills have you gotten off of C/L or any other method, and just either gifted, or sold at no profit, to friends, family, neighbors...?

I'll start. At least a dozen, including a few colored, SS Performers, MBHs, etc. always after applying elbow grease, repair if needed, and cleaned.
It's all about the meat!

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: A new poll-more pertinent (I think) to this site's soul
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
None yet but looking to pass a few along to family when my brother makes a visit. Also looking to take in a good friends very beat abused wood handle 18 and sj and rehab them for him. I am finally getting to the point I have more than enough kettles.  Have also helped a few friends make some scores of cl by giving them advice and sreaching cl for them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:53:51 PM by AZ_MIKEY »
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
OOH, pick me, pick ME!!

Zero.

Really, I live in the Atlanta metro area and there's at least one or two other people here far faster and more savvy than I at finding the "good" ones--if they appear online at all. Still, like most areas, there are black OTS grills "all the time" for cheap that we could be rescuing and re-gifting, am I right? If we had more friends that is.

That said, the closest I've come to doing that is selling my "very low mileage" (like new, actually) '02 22.5" OTS to my next-door neighbor for $25. I might have let it go for less but my neighbor's wife annoys the shit out of me and was already begging for a deal because the lid's handle is chewed up from a squirrel.

He invested in the cheaper, gray Weber cover for it---treating it nicer than I ever did, which surprised me since he was using a no-name gasser and I thought they bought my Weber 'cause they couldn't afford what they really wanted, another gasser.

I'll probably give him the handle from my regular-size Weber chimney since it matches the other handle on the grill ... :) What I'd REALLY like to do is gift him a retrofit ashcan assembly to turn it into a OTG.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

With a K

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »
That's what I'm talking about! Nice job Mikey. Thanks.
It's all about the meat!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
I'd have to say around a dozen or so.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »
I'd have to say around a dozen or so.

And that is why you are truly a statesman.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Two red heads cleaned them and sold for what I had into them. The recipient insisted on giving me more for the first one.

Two green ss performers. Completely rebuilt one of them painted frame as part of it.

Also helped secure different grills for friends and family looking for them.

I guess my contribution to webers has been turning people on to charcoal cooking on the greatest grill ever made.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:18 PM »
I have passed on at no profit a NIB Sam Adams copper 18".
I Put legs on an old N code 22" and gave it to a coworker.
I gave my brother an 18" OTS .
My "extra" 22" OTG is being held for a local grillfella, as soon as he decides that he needs it!
And I have received tons of wonderful kettle karma from my WKC friends! :D
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
I'm just getting started with spreading the love. Although not gifted, three went to the WKC for what I paid/had into them. One went to CL, but to a buyer that placed an add looking for something specific.

A straight edge twist-on pan was gifted to a WKC member.

And a $25 performer was secured, and then the pick-up was transferred to a grillfella's son who was looking. This is one of those CL feel good stories where I was first to contact the seller, but then he received multiple higher priced offers. Could have gone bad like some recent stories, but the seller actually said he believed in Karma and honored the deal. It was an exciting time!

Dude, relax your chicken.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »
Hows this for a story.. I was in the office with my coworkers. We were discussing kettles and the rare colors..
One of the guys says, yeah I have one of those yellow ones in my barn. Its pretty beat up.
The other guys says, Yeah, I'll buy it, how much? He says, hows $20?
He did a clean up, bought a new grate for it and voila! A rare kettle in his bull-pen.
So, I just had to get him a green one. Which I fixed up and sold to him for my cost.
He puts the green lid on the yellow bowl and he supports his Oakland A's..
 He never uses his old gassier anymore.
I loaned out a black 22 to another guy, he likes it so much, he wants me to fix him up an old Brownie.. He thought grills had to be some big massive monster..
Sold a couple SJ's to guys at my cost.. (picked up cheap on Craigslist) Both love em...
Spreading the fever.. One grill at a time..  8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »
Thumbs up, Kris.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »
I passed a fresh 22otg to a coworker for cost. $40. Even gave him the weber chimney that came with it.

Traded a 95 redhead SS for a plum 2000 SS to a Grillfella even swap.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
A new poll-more pertinent (I think) to this site's soul
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Gave a 22.5" Copper to my buddy for his cabin, his first Weber ever. He's since been hooked, and bought a new Performer for his home use. Just tonight he offered a trade for the recent Plum Gold I picked up. Lol. Dang..... Sure like those Copper's!

Probably been through 15-20 kettles and WSM's in the past 10 years. Some sold to buy others, some given to friends.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:15:12 PM by Fishawn »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »
First, I haven't bought a new Weber since about 1986.

Since then, I have gifted or sold at cost at least 2 22.5" kettles, an old SJ, a Platinum, an SS Performer, and a jumbo Joe. As soon as it warms up I will gift an 18.5" kettle (gotta rehab it a little first).

I have gifted or sold for cost 3 or 4 WSMs that I scored on CL, yet somehow I still have 10.

Getting people hooked on cooking on a good grill is almost as satisfying as cooking on a good grill myself.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:43:14 PM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

BBQmedic

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 06:08:35 AM »
I don't have any to pass on yet but I was fortunate enough to be bumped into good barbecue by my friend who passed on a black MBH to me for $20.... I was hooked from the first cook. Now I have a couple more friends that I will be happy to get started. The results of charcoal cooked food speak for themselves. :P

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk