Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What color is this referred to as?  (Read 4707 times)

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
What color is this referred to as?
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »
Picked this up this morning off CL...... Not sure what color it is referred to as? Date code DD

Once I got to see it, I didn't really care for the color, but it was in good shape and just needed some cleaning & I had never seen this color in person. The gentleman saved it for me overnight (or maybe I was the only one who contacted him? Lol)

Anyhow, now I have it and will be cleaning it up to see what it looks like with a bath.

Any other suggestions/methods on/for cleaning?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:17:18 PM by Fishawn »

Beef

• Smokey Joe
Re: What color is this referred to as?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
Do a search on Plum, I believe you will find what you are looking for.

I have never seen one, though. . .

Great score
Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »
Congrats! I was keeping an eye on that one, myself, but am not in the area. Glad it went to a good home!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
Now that I read more closely I understand that you aren't a fan of the color. If you are ever interested in passing it along please let me know. I'm in Eastern WA, but I come over to Seattle regularly to visit family. I would love to have a plum, and would be happy to replace it with a color you prefer or just pay cash, either way. Take good care of it!

As far as cleaning goes, some 0000 steel wool & liquid Bar Keepers Friend works great on the porcelain. Any number of mild metal polishes will clean up the soft aluminum legs & ash catcher. A lot of people use oven cleaner on the inside of the bowl, but I've never gotten that desperate.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:59:38 PM by cbpeck »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:27 AM »
I think some might say that that color kettle started the discussion that started this site?  Jeff, Brian, Lawrence, et al remember the What a Maroon post from the "other" site?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:18:44 AM »
I saw that kettle, too, and think it looks nice. Glad someone here was able to pick it up.

Sent via smoke signals from my Weber kettle

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:55:46 AM »
Love that color. Seems we get a few of those here in WA. That and black seem to be the most common here. I didn't like the color at first, but it grew on me. Looks really good on a S/SP.
Slap some nice wood handles on it, clean her up, polish the ash bucket, and BAM.....beautiful grill.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:57:38 AM by Ken Mc »
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
I think some might say that that color kettle started the discussion that started this site?  Jeff, Brian, Lawrence, et al remember the What a Maroon post from the "other" site?

Yep, that color we colloquially refer to as plum or eggplant. The maroon/burgundy is a different shade is between this and brick red:

Plum/eggplant on left and maroon/burgundy on the right:

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »
Thanks for the replies!
Was able to get a better look at them this afternoon. They ate both in pretty good shape. The Green is in very good condition overall. The Plum has some rust around the leg sockets, and was assembled incorrectly, and the legs didn't want to come out for correction in their right positions, so left that for another day. Used the BarKeepersFriend and a 0000 steel wool on both lids, worked great, as the Plum had some very light White paint overspray on it. I think I will keep the Green, as a cooker. Just don't care for the Plum color. Would rather have a Red MT/Gold in its place in the future.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
Those look very nice.  I actually have a plum I bought off one of our own WKC members but have not had a chance to get it unboxed and cleaned up.  I have a friend that would like a kettle so to make room for my brownies I will letting him pick between my plum or green OTS kettles.  It will have a great home and be stored inside when not in use.  It will also get him into grilling again as well. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:53:44 PM »
I think I would like to trade this for something, just don't care for the color personally (Plum)......Not sure how to go about it..... Don't want to go through packing it up and shipping it etc., due to time involved, etc. And would like to have the purchaser see it, etc., OR, I could take a lot of pics...... Looking for a Red M/T or Red Gold or something different in similar condition for a trade ($ from me possible) ..... Should I post in the Trade area?..... Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area.

Thanks!

Scott
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:56:17 PM by Fishawn »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
Just post pics of it in the trading post and put your conditions..  You just can't say, "Taking Offers"
If you want to sell it, you need to list your price.  Wish you were closer, would like to make a trade for it.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Fishawn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 09:11:53 PM »

Just post pics of it in the trading post and put your conditions..  You just can't say, "Taking Offers"
If you want to sell it, you need to list your price.  Wish you were closer, would like to make a trade for it.  8)

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.
I would rather have it available to somebody that might be interested, and could appreciate this color, etc.
I really don't want to sell it, but would rather trade it. I will post it, and pics when I can.

Again, thank you!

Scott

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
A plum would be cool to add to the pack, but I'm not willing to part with any of the ones already in the stable. Maybe someone else will be in a better position to trade.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 07:13:06 AM »

Yep, that color we colloquially refer to as plum or eggplant. The maroon/burgundy is a different shade is between this and brick red:

Plum/eggplant on left and maroon/burgundy on the right:

I like the brick better than the plum.