Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Gray Phase  (Read 4363 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
My Gray Phase
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
So I left the house with the reconditioned gray 'N' in the back of the car to deliver to a friend, and I returned home with a gray 'G' (Freecycle, FTW!).  I guess I must be on some kind of roll or something. Or maybe I'm depressed. 

So I hear people talking about 'truing' a grill/smoker, or bringing it back into round, but I've not needed to do that before.  The lid is close to round, but the bowl is about 3/4" off (22 1/4" on the short diameter, and a strong 23" on the long diameter).  I gave the thing a squeeze and shifted it about 1/4", but I don't know the preferred procedure.  Do folks use bar clamps or something, or is it better to just gently muscle it?  I imagine that the stress will crack the finish at some point...

Another question:  the hanger hook for the lid is straightened out to the point that the lid barely hangs on it.  Any tips for bending it back, such that I don't just break the thing off altogether? 

This thing has been dropped an knocked over a few times, but it's in pretty good shape:

'G' stands for 'gray', and also for 1985:

Interesting mod on the ash catcher-- it appears that the former owner preferred the old twist-style ash tray and so made his own:

More signs of damage-- the handle is bent in two directions, and also shoved down into the bowl (and does anyone know where a guy can get some new wood handles? ;-):

One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My Gray Phase
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
Personally I just muscle the bowl or lid into shape....I know some people are much more gentile with them but I am pretty rough with them.  I put those handles on the edge of a table and bend it back.  Or I just grab it and bend it back depending on which way it needs to go.  The welds are surprisingly strong.  You need to asses the situation but I just grab them and bend them.  As far as the handle I know a guy..... ;)

Brian

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
I think thats an origianal ash pan. Someone else care to discusss?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
I haven't seen a twist ash can for 20 years, so I'm all ears.  But I saw uneveness in the edges that looked like someone with a tin snips.  There are also those little spring clips on the legs, and I can't imagine anyone adding those if the grill came with a twist pan.

But hey, I hope I'm wrong.  I'll be happy to send this ash can to anyone looking for one, if that's the case. 

Thanks for the expertise, gentlemen!

Mike
One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
I was just thinking it might be factory.  I actually have a Ash pan that almost looks exactly like that.  It has the clips, so maybe.....

Brian

fosta66

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
I would be very interested in that ash catcher for my old 26" redhead.  Does anyone know if it would fit?
Proud steward of a '66 26" Aristocrat

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:32:32 PM »
No way it will fit.. That red 26 is useless without a pan, so just ship it to me and I will dispose of it for you.. Actually, the ash pan for a 26 is likely to be different.. But I have no idea for sure..
Show us a pic, we all would love to see it..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
What red head, who's got a 26 red head?

Brian

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Try reading posts other than mine.. Geez, are you stalking me? I know I am charismatic and irresistible, but cmon..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
A legend in your own mind.....

Brian

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »
I'm by biggest fan!
 8)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 05:15:01 AM »
Interesting mod on the ash catcher-- it appears that the former owner preferred the old twist-style ash tray and so made his own:

That should be the original ash pan. Or at least a "period correct" one. Weber was still doing the twist pans in '85. This looks like the '79-'86 rolled edge style. They resemble the later full disc pans but with a twist- no pun intended  ;D. As for the clips, I have a pic of George Stephen posing with an early 80s redhead/twist pan kettle and when I zoomed in, I noticed there was a leg clip just above the twist ash pan, seems redundent, but perhaps Weber started adding clips for the later style twist pans in the early '80s? Maybe.

Craig