Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Shoulder  (Read 3678 times)

OneBadBadger

• Happy Cooker
Pork Shoulder
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Thinking about doing a Boston Butt on the kettle today (will be my 2nd time smoking anything). Kettle ran hot last time for the ribs. Around 260. Looking for tips on the Shoulder. Should I try the snake method again? Or just light up half a chimney and start that way? What do you guys think. Not sure on size yet. I still have to go pick up the meat after I get off work in 5 hours.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
260 should be perfect for the pork.  Go with the snake. It will take a long time by the way, depending on the size of the cut.  Go till it hits 205 in the center if you are thinking pulled pork.

Post pics of the cook and have fun!

Winz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »

Here's a bunch of us doing a walk thru.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/pork-shoulder-attempt-22-5-weber/

Here's FinkFarm trying out what he called "The Buckie Method".....not mine, just that I use it a lot...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/first-try-at-the-buckie-method/

Here's a real good walk thru from Marty....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/boston-butt-on-the-performer/

Here's Hank asking the question & getting some good input.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/what-post-best-describes-the-snake-method/

& this is me yakkin' about times temps method......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/other-recipes/something-different/

It really kinda depends on when you start & when you'd like to eat....

These things, I go for'start in the middle of the nite & eat @ noon or a bit after', but you can start early AM & be doing OK by a semi-reasonable dinner hour.....

Cutting a large one in half, or using two smaller ones (4~5#) will cut the time down some, but they still need to go thru the cookdown & chemical changes that make them  magical !!!

Chaining the charcoal affords not having to open the cooker a bunch more that is needed & will actually move things along pretty good......Winz is right on 260 is always my basic target cooking temp for these things......not so low that it takes forever, not so high up that you risk drying out the edges.......260 is fine.....the pig can take it !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »

Here's an excerpt from another thread:

Well, it's kinda like get it on & get it done.....roll the butts outta the package, quick rinse, no mustard or other stuff, score w/ sharp knife ( almost the only time I use a real sharp one, usually a reasonably sharp Henckels bread knife for everything else ) work the rub all around & in, it will stick & melt good enough, set, don't throw, them on the cooker......
Same on the charcoal.....dump a bunch in the mioddle & start flipping them over to pile on the edge, work around, set some blocks on top & lite.......
Most time consuming part tonite was shuffling boxes around to find the right wood chunks.....

8:05 PM....decide to go ahead & cook for a potluck tomorrow, even though i was feeling shitty....
Hem & haw for 3 minutes, move stuff around, lite leftover coals 1/4 chimney..........
8:08 ~ 8:15, load two kettles with rings & wood...........

8:16 ~ 8:19....set in lit coals to start burn & heat cookers.....

8:19 ~ 8:29......score fatcap & rub butts......

8:30....set meat in......

Temp....225 on one, 230, the other one......this will rise as it gets rolling, shooting for 260 approx.

25 minutes to set 15# of pork........dogs are excited.....

can update, if you'd like.......
PS: those are not drip pans.....they're holding space for beans..........................

>>> Set a pan of beans down in on the charcoal grate, if you'd like & don't lose all those goodies dripping in........ that's usually for the last 4~5 hours of the cook..............

>>> Watch for the bone to come loose, late in the game....

OneBadBadger

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
Pork turned out great by the way. Just haven't felt like messing with a photobucket account or whatever to post pictures yet. Next on the list is to tackle a brisket.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:09 AM »

Good Deal !!!

Glad you had a good cookup !!!!