Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber compact kettles; Winner or Loser?  (Read 5467 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Weber compact kettles; Winner or Loser?
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »
As it stands I think they look cheap, but I have never owned one. :-\

Here's the subject:

I just saw this on craigs. It looks like an old one or just an el cheapo from the mercado.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/for/3282551671.html

Maybe they would be best used as a "lamper".  :P

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber compact kettles; Winner or Loser?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:13 PM »
That first one I've never seen before, is that a US model? The wheels are all black too, strange. As for the second one, looks like it has the same issue as the lego one in the off topic forum; bad handle placement :o

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Yeah, they look like they are missing their teeth. :D

Michael Berry

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
I think they are mighty ugly and and don't see the point in having one.  Maybe they would be good for high heat cooks like steaks or something....but mainly they're just damn ugly....alot of people can't see the point of someone owning the number of kettles I do...but I can...I look at one and think DAMN that's a good looking grill, I'm gonna cook on it...turn my head and think , look at that one over there, it's cool as shit too so maybe I cook on it....and ...wait a minute I'm in the mood the see the 70's model metal handle redhead get hot and change from red to DANGER RED.  I'm not attracted to the compact...it's a loser just like someone who thinks they have magic boogers.  They think that after they pick one they can just flick it towards the floorboard of the truck and it disappears?  Well it didn't disappear...they can't see it anymore..but it's there...somewhere...loser.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
I think they are mighty ugly and and don't see the point in having one.  Maybe they would be good for high heat cooks like steaks or something....but mainly they're just damn ugly....alot of people can't see the point of someone owning the number of kettles I do...but I can...I look at one and think DAMN that's a good looking grill, I'm gonna cook on it...turn my head and think , look at that one over there, it's cool as shit too so maybe I cook on it....and ...wait a minute I'm in the mood the see the 70's model metal handle redhead get hot and change from red to DANGER RED.  I'm not attracted to the compact...it's a loser just like someone who thinks they have magic boogers.  They think that after they pick one they can just flick it towards the floorboard of the truck and it disappears?  Well it didn't disappear...they can't see it anymore..but it's there...somewhere...loser.

This beats out my previous choice for"Post of the Month" !!!

Take another look at that butt-ugly thing....

Look carefully at the metal racking that holds the legs together near the ground....

I may  be mistaken, but I think it's a 4-legged grill w/ THREE LEGS....

A Charbroiler or some other dodo kettle  (i. e. kettle that went the way of the dodo...)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
I hate them, and hate that weber put their name on them.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:40:42 PM »
I hate them, and hate that weber put their name on them.

So they did actually make or sponsor the "Thing" ?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
They make the top one. Available in Europe, and as far as i knew rumored to be coming to the US.

I dislike a lot about it, including the lame heat shield handles and the shallow bowl.  It looks cheap, like the kingsford branded grills sold in front of the chain grocery stores.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 05:19:44 AM »
They make the top one. Available in Europe, and as far as i knew rumored to be coming to the US.

I dislike a lot about it, including the lame heat shield handles and the shallow bowl.  It looks cheap, like the kingsford branded grills sold in front of the chain grocery stores.

Bingo, the top one is in the UK...http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/barbecues/charcoal/compact/  and maybe in the EU as well. It's interesting that all the charcoal grills have that flashing below the handle. I know that the handle on my Performer can get pretty hot on extended cooks, hot enough to where I need a rag in order to touch the handle. May not be a bad idea for over here.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
The european handles are probably the result of some law in Europe to prevent burns..
The only thing I like about them is that they can be replaced.
As for the overall design of that kettle, yuck!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »
Definite LOSER, They sell these in some of the major retailers in OZ like Kmart.
Handles are poor, looks like crap and Made in China(I think)

Its a great way to turn people off Weber grills with the cheap construction and disappointing to see them lower their standards
Prices in OZ
Compact $199
OTS-$299
OTG-$399
It amazes me how much more we pay for our grills especially considering our currencies are nearly on parity
Anyway i picked up this SJG during the week,its a euro model with the shitty handle but the colors cool
So what looks better the plastic or wood handle?

Only problem with the timber handle is it doesn't lock down the lid tight like the plastic one
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
I like the wood, but I would buy one of Brians. I think his will lock down nicely. How much would it cost for you to send me one like that?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 02:46:13 PM »
Shaun I bet the handles I sent you would work well on those....what do you think?

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
I like the wood, but I would buy one of Brians. I think his will lock down nicely. How much would it cost for you to send me one like that?
They don't sell them in OZ. I bought this BNIB off our version of CL
The lady who I bought it off brought it with her when she emigrated from the UK
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
Shaun I bet the handles I sent you would work well on those....what do you think?

Brian
I think they would fit perfectly. :)

Hogsy, I got dibs on the next yellow or blue one you find.  ;)