Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Copper SS Performer (Project "Bisbee")  (Read 12074 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Copper SS Performer (Project "Bisbee")
« on: March 11, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
My copper SS performer project is very near completion.  The modifications to date are as follows:

1.   Disassembled a black SS perfomer
2.   Sandblasted and powder coated the frame in gloss black
3.   Installed a 2014 Weber Copper bowl and lid
4.   Mounted a 700 degree pizza kettle thermometer in the lid
5.   Changed out grey bale rollers for black
6.   Extended the SS surface and installed a wooden cutting board (see modification steps here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/applying-extenze-to-a-ss-performer-table/
7.   Relocated propane starter tank to the back of the frame
8.   Installed a powder coated wire basket for storage
9.   Painted the Weber logo in Copper
10.   Installed new casters
11.   Installed 8” steel wheels with painted copper rims and black tires
12.   Mounted a TW8060 dual channel thermocouple to the frame using a c-clamp and swivel-head mounting unit.
13.   Routed a 2200 degree ceramic fiber probe into the kettle using a fabricated mount to monitor kettle temp at the cooking grate.  Second probe can be attached to the TW8060 to monitor internal food temp for long, slow cooks.
14.   Replaced all existing hardware with stainless steel hardware.
15.   Ordered Zav koa-wood handles for kettle lid and SS table (still to be installed)
16.   Installed a Weber cooking grate with removable cast iron searing bars and hinged sides to allow for adding fuel while cooking.

Some pics:

This is the starting point after I had completed the extension of the SS table:

Completely tore the performer down, bead blasted and powder coated the frame in gloss black:

Installed a 2014 Copper Performer bowl and lid.

Note in the picture above, the bale rollers are black instead of the usual grey.  I had ordered some replacements for Jocool and ordered some extras for myself.  I like the black over the grey for this project:

One thing I do not like about the stock Performer is the propane tank hanging down at the front of the frame, so I decided to relocate it to the back, ditched the charcoal bin, and installed a powder coated wire basket to hold gloves, spices, knives, etc:

I wanted the copper theme throughout the grill, so I painted the weber logo:

I also replaced the stock 8" plastic wheels with steel wheels and solid rubber tires (using the existing axle), painted to match as well:

This is where it gets weird - due to my obsession with monitoring temperature while cooking, I devised a way to monitor temperature at the cooking level, at the kettle lid, and in the food, which is useful for long, slow cooks.   I installed a 700 degree kettle pizza thermometer in the lid and a 2200 degree probe mounted in the kettle just below the food grate.  I fabricated the mount and used one of the bolts holding the propane starter tube as my kettle mount:

The probe is routed through the other existing hole, run along the frame, and plugs into my thermoworks unit.  There is another input for plugging in a food probe.

Completed project (minus the Koa Zav handles on order):

Of course, I had to make my OTG copper kettle match, so I blacked out the legs and installed 6" steel wheels painted copper.  It is also getting new Zav handles:

The pair:

I am calling the performer "Bisbee" in reference to an Arizona copper mining town we use to visit when we lived in AZ.  Thinking of calling the OTG "Jerome".

My total budget (less the price of the thermoworks unit) was about what you would pay for a new performer.  However I think the extended SS table, powder coated frame, steel wheels, Koa wood handles, and all stainless hardware are all pretty significant upgrades when compared to a new copper performer.  I think Bisbee has a very "clean" look to it as well.  Because I can fold the extended table down by removing 1 bolt, I can also use the existing SS performer cover to keep it in good condition.

Winz
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:56:36 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
Re: Copper SS Performer (Project "Bisbee")
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
Wow, very nicely done. Love the black on copper look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
Very nicely done. Any thoughts on adding a lid bale and lid thermometer to the OTG?

Can't wait to see the pair with the new handles. Also I like the names. I also noticed on the performer the ash sweep handle orientation, does it clear the frame when located there?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:36:09 PM by AZ_MIKEY »
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
Beautiful and unique creations Winz.....that look like a fun project.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:12 PM »
Very nicely done. Any thoughts on adding a lid bale and lid thermometer to the OTG?

Can't wait to see the pair with the new handles. Also I like the names. I also noticed on the performer the ash sweep handle orientation, does it clear the frame when located there?

So funny you should ask about the OTG - I am thinking of using the lid bale from the black performer kettle I removed, and turning "Jerome" into a copper M/T of sorts.  I even have extra black bale rollers.

yes, the ash sweep and ash bucket have plenty of clearance - I actually like the orientation better as it is not blocked by items I may have in the storage bin on the bottom.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
Bisbee and Jerome are awesome! The mods and the names! :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:46:45 PM »

Zipping Right Along !!!!!!

Really neat to see these pieces that were either in use or stored around just a bit ago all coming together.......tremendous job !!!!

PS: "I installed a 700 degree kettle pizza thermometer in the lid and a 2200 degree probe mounted in the kettle just below the food grate"
Don't you dare run Bisbee up to 2200f.....or even 700 for that matter or I'll come up there & spank you !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:13 PM »
Hey Winz, I had no idea you had a thing for kettle temps.  ::)

I was flipping through the Thermoworks catalog today and I saw the bluetooth thermocouple controller. Have you thought about hooking the SS up to your phone?  ;D  8)  :P Is that dome dial accurate enough for you?

Your kettles are looking real good. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:07:18 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
Fantastic work mate. They look great. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
Oh Man.. That's just awesome work you've done.
If you don't mind my asking, how much did Powder Coating cost you?
And do yo have the part # for the black rollers?
I've only ever seen them in grey. They look so much better in black.
 8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
sweet work Winz ;D
love it  8) 8)

whats the temp? :P
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 01:47:48 AM »
Nicely done.

Did you think of raising the height at all? I have an SS as well as a 2005. And I have to say, it annoys me that they are differing heights.

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 04:14:59 AM »
Damn Winz that's a great job, very creative!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 04:16:18 AM »
Don't you dare run Bisbee up to 2200f.....or even 700 for that matter or I'll come up there & spank you !!!!

Buckie - if that means that you will stay and cook dinner, it is tempting....

I was flipping through the Thermoworks catalog today

Gummi - music to my ears.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did Powder Coating cost you?
And do yo have the part # for the black rollers?

AJ - Bead blasting and powder coating was $50.  I have stripped and painted carts myself before, and I can say it was $50 well spent.  The powder coat is first rate stuff.  Black lid bale rollers can be ordered here:  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/hardware-for-lid-support-p-1477082.html?osCsid=0igeu9bdr7bd73jbv4ikhejhr5

Did you think of raising the height at all?

Joe - I did not, however it would be easy enough to do by going to 10" wheels and 4" casters (or wheels).

Winz

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 04:18:56 AM »
Very nice Winz!