Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found my holy grail!  (Read 15858 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Found my holy grail!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
Brain is referring to  Lumpe..
He's not hiding that fact.
I will try to get more pics of all my grils.. I  am so busy collecting, not much time left to get them all set up.. 8)

Oh, I know! I was just being a wiseacre! ;D As soon as I saw the post I pictured that Wisconsin guy's little yellow kettle next to his pavilion. The same guy that referes to us WKC folks as "kids" over on another site.  ::)

Craig
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:14:53 PM by husker_red »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
I pay him no mind. He's not gonna change.  He's a bit self centered and likes to think he's always right.
But that's why this place is here! Were just a bunch of silly kids having fun!
No stress, jut lots of bbq talk.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
What, post up Jim limpet's yellow! I want to see what all the hype is about.

Nice score. The grill gods smiled on ya for posting that article about replacing the two rivet handles. Solve the high heat porc-a-fix color match chip issue and lord knows what you'll get!
#grubdubs

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
Great find...that will shine up nicely once the paint is removed.  Yellows seem to be the hardest color to find, especially ones in good cnodition.  The areas of missing paint are so much more noticable on a light colored grill.  I see one just like it a few miles from me being put into action every now and then.  Some day I'll stop in to see if the owner is willing to sell.  Any idea of the years these were available?   

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »
Congrats on the find Brian!  I didn't realize how hard the yellows were to find.  I picked up a 18 yellow for $35.  Is that too much? ;D  Just being a kid, again.   ;)  I attached a link to the pics I have so far.  Enjoy the new grill.

https://plus.google.com/photos/117188523082884383089/albums/5797105642262732257

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
Okay so I had the day off of work and I put some time into the Gourmet today. It proved a little tougher than I had anticipated.  THe paint that was on there had to be real old and crusted on.  It took a lot to get it all off.  First I used lacquer thinner, and it didn't work so well.  Then I went to oven cleaner and that was not doing so well.  The i decided to use heat, that softened the paint and I used an xacto chisel blade and gently scraped the paint off.  I will tell you one thing, if you think the red grills change color you really need to see these yellows.  The turn almost orange, I'll get pictures tomorrow of how orange it turns.  Once I got the paint off the lid and it looked pretty good, I turned to the bowl.  The bowl was a whole other story.  This paint would not come off. I got it hot with a load of coshell and it just barely softened it but it was so thick I could not scrape it.  Then it started turning black, it looked like a real mess.  I finally got some paint stripper and used that.  That worked well.  I took the legs off and got the wheels removed.  It revealed how bad the leg socket was.  One was really loose.  I Ended putting a nut and bolt in it to strengthen it and it worked awesome...

Here is the lid with the paint on it

the lid must have sat somewhere and collected leaves and whirly birds and it was crusted on....

Phoebe decided it looked good and ate it before I could clean it out....

Here is the lid all cleaned up...

the bowl flipped over and ready to begin

I started cracking the vents loose with my favorite PB Blaster

Here is the bowl after heating and trying to spray over cleaner and scraping the paint

Once I got some of the paint scraped but realized I needed something else I decided to pull the legs off and the wheels off.

More pictures to come......

Brian
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:17:12 PM by zavod44 »
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »
Whoa...that lid is bright.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:20:21 PM by G »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
I fixed it, I switched to photobucket because imageshack let me down, I am no longer using imageshack.  Please bare with me....

Brian

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
its coming around.  Lots of work...but worth the effort!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
Okay so I had the day off of work and I put some time into the Gourmet today. It proved a little tougher than I had anticipated.  THe paint that was on there had to be real old and crusted on.  It took a lot to get it all off.  First I used lacquer thinner, and it didn't work so well.  Then I went to oven cleaner and that was not doing so well.  The i decided to use heat, that softened the paint and I used an xacto chisel blade and gently scraped the paint off.  I will tell you one thing, if you think the red grills change color you really need to see these yellows.  The turn almost orange, I'll get pictures tomorrow of how orange it turns.  Once I got the paint off the lid and it looked pretty good, I turned to the bowl.  The bowl was a whole other story.  This paint would not come off. I got it hot with a load of coshell and it just barely softened it but it was so thick I could not scrape it.  Then it started turning black, it looked like a real mess.  I finally got some paint stripper and used that.

Please Excuse my ignorance.........

You used all those things directly on the surface and it didn't damage it?   
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
It's looking pretty nice Brian! I think it has a lot of potential. I can't wait to see it with a real handle on it.  :)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Why do dogs always want to eat the charcoal?
Looking good..
AJ
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
Set it in yer hammock when it's all clened up.  ;D

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 11:02:55 PM »
Okay so I had the day off of work and I put some time into the Gourmet today. It proved a little tougher than I had anticipated.  THe paint that was on there had to be real old and crusted on.  It took a lot to get it all off.  First I used lacquer thinner, and it didn't work so well.  Then I went to oven cleaner and that was not doing so well.  The i decided to use heat, that softened the paint and I used an xacto chisel blade and gently scraped the paint off.  I will tell you one thing, if you think the red grills change color you really need to see these yellows.  The turn almost orange, I'll get pictures tomorrow of how orange it turns.  Once I got the paint off the lid and it looked pretty good, I turned to the bowl.  The bowl was a whole other story.  This paint would not come off. I got it hot with a load of coshell and it just barely softened it but it was so thick I could not scrape it.  Then it started turning black, it looked like a real mess.  I finally got some paint stripper and used that.

Please Excuse my ignorance.........

You used all those things directly on the surface and it didn't damage it?

Yea, i tried lacquer thinner, oven cleaner, then goo gone, then paint stripper, and scraped it off with an xacto chisel blade...looks beautiful   ;)  no sweat.  just got to be a little careful with the blade, but the enamel is very durable. 

Brian

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 05:51:53 AM »
Why do dogs always want to eat the charcoal?
Looking good..
AJ

Sometimes they display their preferences in other ways....

He only does this to blue Kingsford.......You tell me ?

Nice progress on the yellow....Sorry for the sidetrack...... :)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"