Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The rest of the story  (Read 4620 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
The rest of the story
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

I have been search for a 26.75 weber for some time now.  On February 14th, 6:55 PM - I see the following while doing a web search in Sacramento for Weber:

Not believing this could possible be real, hands shaking I immediately email the seller.  She did not supply any phone number or address in the original listing.

At 10:30 that night, I get an email indicating she accepted my offer and would hold the grill for me. 

I wake up at 2:00 in the morning, see that the c/l ad is still up, and begin to worry that someone is going to get to her and seriously outbid me, or let her know that there is an Ebay auction for another westerner that is currently at $1,500.  I make the decision to appeal to the WKC, and to let people know that I am "on it" and that the seller has indeed accepted my offer.

Seller in her last post of the night says she will be up around 9:00 a.m.  After a sleepless night, I jump into my truck at 7:30 and head to Folsom.  I let the seller know that I would be down there early and to contact me as early as possible.  While she has my phone number, I do not have hers, nor her address.

At 8:19, seller emails me indicating that she is sorry, but several offers have been presented, and that the grill is worth closer to $1000.  She basically shut me down.  I replied back, indicating I would like the chance to see the grill, and would possibly still be interested.  After not receive a reply for 45 minutes, I assume all is lost and head back home (30 miles away).

At 10:28, seller emails me, apologizing for being flakey, and indicating that her family member wants to put it on ebay, however, she then indicates that because I was the first offer, she wants to give me the first shot at it.  She includes her phone number which I immediately call.

We have a great discussion and agree on a price.  While it is higher that the original price she listed it at, it was still very fair, especially in light of the circumstances.  I head back down the hill, with a quick stop at the ATM

The seller was a very nice person, in her early 60's.  The story is that her uncle purchased the grill new and it has been in the family since.  It was originally purchased in the Chicago area, and migrated with the family to Folsom.  The seller is in the process of cleaning out their home which they have just sold, and in anticipation of relocating to the east coast.  We have a very pleasant discussion about the grill, about local wines, and a few other topics.  I hand her the cash, her husband helps me load up the grill.  I thank her profusely for the way she went about this transaction, and she later emailed me a thank you as well (although now, the ebay auction, which she was totally aware of, has closed at $2,400, she may be having second thoughts).  As I stated in my other post, both parties felt good about the transaction at the time.  As some of you pointed out, this was an example of Kettle Karma at work.

I have uploaded several pictures at the following link.  I understand that this grill is important, and am certainly willing to take more photos to ensure we have a good record for the WKC.  I have not touched the grill with regard to cleaning it, restoring it, etc.  I think I will wait a bit and gain some wisdom from you all in terms of how best to treat it.  I do not plan to flip it, but rather enjoy it for what it is.  I certainly hope I can treat you to a burger some time (or a steak if you are buying  :) ). 

http://style-42.theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/fs/ls/id/94855

I am going to change my signature line to "my 2014 weber goal - to enjoy the kettles I have"

Thanks for listening,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The rest of the story
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »
Nice story, congrats
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »
Great back story Winz. I'm sure you will build many happy memories with it and am really looking forward to seeing it first hand at the 2014 meet in the East Bay.

What's the best way to see the pictures? Do I have to join YUKU?

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:04 PM »
That's an awesome story behind the grill and how you were able to secure it! Kudos to both you and the seller. Like Duke said, the photos do not load. I look forward to seeing more of your  prize!

Score 1, Kettle Karma! 8)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
Sorry about the photos, will fix the link later
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »
I noticed in the other thread that your new Westerner has the Metal lid handle oriented towards the lid vent like the modern kettles. Must be a later edition MTH around '62-'63 or so! Super envious right now as are most of us.

Love it! :)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »
Just awesome! Glad you had the the $ on hand to make it happen. I don't usually carry extra...

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 06:23:01 PM »
Very nice pick up!  Enjoy it. Definitely a lot of history and nostalgia there. I can't express how cool it is that you scored this. Just amazing! 

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
I am very glad thiings worked out as they did, I want to point out that the $2400 ebay kettle includes a rotisserie and ring which I value at $1000 - but still you WON  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
Hey-HEY, Winz!  I just posted to the other thread, and then I saw this.  HOO-RAY!!  I'm so glad this kettle came back to you.  What a great turn of events. 
One of the charcoal people.

BBQmedic

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »
Sweet! Great story with a happy ending!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Picarib

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
Nice score!! Cannot wait to see more pics of this awesome grill.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
Congratulations! :)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC