Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey; Just Because I Want To!  (Read 8022 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turkey; Just Because I Want To!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »

The three times I've done turkey on my kettle I've done it a bit different.

First, I brine it for 24 hours.  Tried it once and never looked back.  I bribe the ones I do in the oven too.  Moist and the right amount of salt/seasoning to still taste the turkey. 

Second, for the first hour roast it breast down in a foil pan.  Breast stays cooler longer.
Most of the turkeys and chickens I see have around 12-15% solution (some even more!) and I've never brined a bird because of that.
Not sure what the moisture content was in my birds, all I know it that brining has made both kettle and oven turkey's way better.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
Incredible John! That's how it's done!
We really only do turkey on thanksgiving, and my FIL is very particular about it being traditional and done a certain way, so not likely gonna happen, but I want to try this so bad...maybe Christmas?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »
Incredible John! That's how it's done!
We really only do turkey on thanksgiving, and my FIL is very particular about it being traditional and done a certain way, so not likely gonna happen, but I want to try this so bad...maybe Christmas?
When they go on sale just put a couple in the freezer, or get a fresh one and cook it on a normal weekend.
My dad is the one in my family that had to have his Thanksgiving Day meal the same every time. Grandma hadn't cooked it since the early '70s and no one else ever got it right. I learned to look forward to having to work on Thanksgiving.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
Man that looks good!  I have got to give cooking in the basement a try.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
Most of the turkeys and chickens I see have around 12-15% solution (some even more!) and I've never brined a bird because of that.

I'm right there with you on that.  We try to cut down on the amount of sodium in our diet.  Hams are always hard to find with sodium less than 800mg.  I'm going to give smoking a fresh ham soon to see if I can get something good with out all of the sodium. 

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »
Could just put less salt in the brine solution.  No matter, to each his own. As long as you enjoy your turkey. 

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
That turkey looks awesome!
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.