Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Polishing aluminum  (Read 7652 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Polishing aluminum
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Had to search myself, stuff looks to do amazing stuff, I'm about the ease.
This place has options too. Looks like this is a do all product...

http://www.winterbrookfarmantiques.com/index.php?cPath=68

Go here to for other ideas.

http://thepolishguy.com/category/simichrome/

Amazon has it…some auto parts stores, but not many - Mothers has them wrapped up. You can order direct here:

http://www.simichrome-polish.com

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 04:21:56 PM »
What grit paper should I start with? Any liquids or compounds used?

While I'm happy with my results, AZ_Mikey takes it to another level...  He begins polishing where I end.  lol
I'm a fan of the sandpaper method.  100 > 150 > 220 > 320/400 > 0000 steel wool followed with Mothers Polish

Blue SS - playing around 'cleaning up' the ash catcher ring

Red SS - before & after (1 hour of sanding/polishing)

Kettle legs also

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
Bman, all by hand and no power tools? They look great.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 04:39:28 AM »
The absolute best stuff I have ever used, (and I have used all the simichrome and mothers and flitz out there) I'd stuff called Rolite supra 90.  You can find it online, at aircraft supply places.  My neighbor is an airline mechanic and he gave me an old can.  They use it to polish the airplanes.  I polish aluminum to a chrome finish for a living and nothing even compares to supra 90.  It's in a class all by itself.  The other stuff is decent but it's a distant second place.  Just Google it and you'll find it.  It's amazing.  Also if you can find something called Sunshine polishing cloths those are equally amazing.  They are available from Rio Grande.  It's a jewelry supply place.  It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get the cloths but if you do you will be amazed by the results.  Combined with rolite, you better get a fresh pair of underoos, because when you're done polishing you'll throw it in your own net.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

JalopyBob

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:11 AM »
Simichrome is great stuff. A friend gave me some to try on aluminum engine parts that come up to a mirror finish. If you happen to have a high speed straight air grinder you can bring that mirror finish up very quickly.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 06:26:18 AM »
Bman, all by hand and no power tools? They look great.

The legs are done by hand, but I 'cheat' on the ring/pan by using a 1/4 sheet palm sander for the bulk of it. 
I finish up by hand with the steel wool and the Mothers (if I use it)

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!