Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Needing a bean recipe..... For a crowd  (Read 2202 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Needing a bean recipe..... For a crowd
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
I have been using my own variation of Larry's beans that he posted a while back.  We really like them, not too sweet, which I realize was the problem with my past beans.  They were just way too sweet. 

But I usually use a couple of small cans, or one 28 oz can and a small one. 

I am going to make a pretty large batch, those huge 10# cans.   And I need some measurements to at least go by. 

I am going to use some spicy chorizo, about 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs. .......should I use more? 

I have yellow, red, and white onions.  Green peppers, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, flavored vinegars, worsty sauce, and mostly all the other add-ins that are usually used. 

I usually rinse my beans, but that would be harder with those huge cans, so might not do that. 

I know a lot here cook for larger crowds so I kind of need a guide to go by.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Danny C

• WKC Brave
Re: Needing a bean recipe..... For a crowd
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:30 AM »
I have made Keri's hog apple baked beans and everyone enjoys them they go very fast!
Just do a search for recipe on the web
Danny

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »
What you have sounds fine. The chorizo is always going to kick off beans. I would just add everything else you have planned and see if it looks like there's enough. You can always get more of something while they are simmering. How may cans are you doing? For how many people? Today?

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
Yup for today..... After 4 pm..... I wanted to bake them on he grill , but I have church choir practice so I cannot tend to them. 

I have three large onions, two large peppers, about 2 cups of BBQ sauce simmering and will bake them in two separate large 9x13 deep dish roasting pans.

There will be well over 50 people there, sometimes a hundred.  It is one of our family reunions, we usually do it labor day weekend but it was rained out.  So, it's a potluck sort of thing, but I usually make for a large amount.  One 10# can.   Smells and tastes like they will come out pretty good,  my only mistake......I forgot to take out my pork trimmings that I freeze for things like this.  Oh well.....
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!